Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router - Advice Please

bazzer
Pro

New Router - Advice Please

Hi,
I'm buying a new router (Netgear N600). It's been a decision I have put off for months as I have not seen one single router that has comprehensive positive reviews.
This router, according to reviews, is either the best in the world or a complete nightmare.
My question is this: Do I have to uninstall my current router (also a Netgear) or do I just run the install software for the new one?
If the new one doesn't work can I plug my old one back in or will the install software from the new router override the settings for the original?
My existing router works but gets overheated and needs to be restarted once it is unplugged and cooled down, hence the change.
Thanks for any help / suggestions.
2 REPLIES 2
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: New Router - Advice Please

There should be nothing to install or uninstall when swapping a router,  but some do like to give the impression they are.
To do things the safest way, it's preferable to use the routers configuration pages directly.
As such,  there is nothing you need to do with the current router  beyond unplugging it  (you may want to get the current settings from it).
After plugging in the N600,  you need to connect to it and setup the appropriate login details for your account.
If you get problems,  the old router just needs plugging back in.
For wired connections,  there should be nothing else to do,  for wireless you can either give the new router the same settings as the old one,  then deal with the few devices that that didn't like that,  or use new settings and reconfigure all the wireless devices  (this makes it easier to swap back).
bazzer
Pro

Re: New Router - Advice Please

Great. Thanks for your reply.
adie:quote