Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet Customer, Speeds 50% slower than with BT

FIXED
jfraser
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

New Plusnet Customer, Speeds 50% slower than with BT

I have recently transferred over from BT to Plusnet.  It's been a couple weeks since the 'training period' started down my line. 

This morning, I received an email from Plusnet saying the speed down my line should be 14.9 Mbps, but every speed test I've performed has be topping out at around 5 Mpbs (I would achieve speeds of around 9 Mbps down the same line with BT..).

Please let me know if you need further details in order to investigate.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New Plusnet Customer, Speeds 50% slower than with BT

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 45.7 31.0
SNR Margin: 3.5 8.6
Errored Seconds: 6 4
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 62600 1623690
Speed: 184 16956

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 15904 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 12723
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 221
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 10

Your line is connected at a good speed on the downstream, however I'm concerned about that upload sync speed (184) and the very low mean time between errors (10).

Are you currently plugged in to the master socket without any extension cables in use? If so I'd advise reporting a fault at https://faults.plus.net for us to investigate further. It's also worth plugging in a single handset and dialling 17070 listening for any noise on the line, crackles hisses etc.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jfraser
Rising Star

Thanks for the timely response.

Before I finalize logging a fault (as there may be some added charges..), I'm going to try to connect an old router and check if you have sent me a faulty router in my welcome package.

If my speeds are still hovering around 5Mbps using a different router, I'll proceed with logging the fault using the link you provided me with (I expect the speeds to, at a minimum, return to what I was achieving with my previous provider 3 weeks ago, roughly 9Mbps).

Best,

James Fraser

Chris
Legend

Looking at the line stats I'd actually expect you to go more than that once any faults are resolved. The sync speed is good so you should get 12-13Mb/s throughput.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

How are you testing the speeds, via wired or wireless?

jfraser
Rising Star

Wired.  Router connected to the main phone socket.  New filter.

I'll be getting my hands on another router later today, so I'll check if the router provided by Plusnet is the issue or not.

Chris
Legend

I've tested the line again and it's showing a potential fault on the copper line. Did you manage to test with a single handset for noise/crackling on the line?

jfraser
Rising Star

Do you mean the 'Quiet Line Test' (option 2 after dialing 17070)?

Yes, I listened and didn't hear anything.

EDIT:

I've also been noticing my connection dropping periodically over the last couple hours.  Is that you testing the line?

Thanks for your continued assistance.

Chris
Legend

It dropped twice in quick succession, which was me testing the line. It's not showing any drops other than those:

OK, once you've tested the alternate router just let me know how it's going. If you can finish the fault report once you've done that I'll get it picked up, tested again and reported through.
jfraser
Rising Star

Fix

After some testing with other devices, cables, filters, phone sockets, it seems that these reduced speeds I'm experiencing are localised to this one PC.

My sincere apologies for wasting your time, and I appreciate your efforts at helping me resolve this issue @Chris & @Mustrum.

Time to buy a new network adapter.

Chris
Legend

Glad you found the problem. I'm still a little concerned about the upload speed though, it may still be worth getting a fault opened to look in to that.

jfraser
Rising Star

Thanks, @Chris.  I might just do that.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Fixed changed to @jfraser as per message #10

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still