cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet Broadband (Internal Wiring Issue?)

madsween

New Plusnet Broadband (Internal Wiring Issue?)

Hi,
Just joined plusnet and having problems with my broadband..Did log with support but its back with me now.
Symptoms: The broadband would flash for about 5 minutes, settle down for maybe 30 seconds with Internet light going Red then Green but then back to 5 minutes of flashing broadband light.
Solution: Tried unplugging everything/new filters etc nothing. It seems the only thing that works is connecting via test line and this was stable overnight. So support ping it back to me as an internal fault. Fair enough..
The odd thing is that we had broadband for 12 months without problem right up to the day of switch to plusnet and then on that exact day we develop an internal hardware fault? Seems like too much of a coincidence me thinks but anyway..
Are BT Wholesale (plusnet) and LLU (My old TalkTalk) technically the same?
I am curious if it’s possible that something with my internal wiring/hardware was there all along but for some reason had no impact on LLU but does affect the BT Wholesale product.
Cheers
Mark
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Plusnet Broadband (Internal Wiring Issue?)

I have a suspicion.
Can you post your router stats - noise margin, speeds and attenuation
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you using your old TalkTalk router  - and if so what model is it ?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

In some situations, if you have either old standard wiring or the ring wire connected, the extra noise on the line may be coped with by LLU but not ADSL. However with either, you will never get the best performance or stability until you sort your internal wiring.
PS. Always worth looking to see if BT's incoming cable is the current standard as well!
madsween

Thanks all,
I am using a new Technicolor Router from plusnet. Stats below..Should be new wiring as house only couple years old.
Day 1 Speed test hit 6mb down now only just under 4mb  Sad

DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 12:51:53
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 4.544
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 21,83 / 869,06
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,3 / 36,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 17,0 / 19,3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 17 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 19.813 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 11 / 804
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 3 / 2.620
x47c
Grafter

Sad to report a new house does not necessarily mean good internal phone wiring.
Sometimes it can mean precisely the opposite if instead of installing proper phone/data cable to the BT specs' the 'builders' and 'electricians' used burglar alarm cable.
Yes, I've seen it happen and while it would be OK for voice calls, at the higher frequencies of broadband it would be unsuitable and likely to give all sorts of problems
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

and even if they do use 'proper' 4 or 6 core phone cable, they tend to connect all 4 or 6 wires. This means the ring wire is usually connected and introduces problems for ADSL.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As the connection seems to have settled down this is what I think happened.
When you were provisioned on ADSL2+ it was with a default noise margin of 3dB which just wouldn't work.
The automatic systems then tried increasing the noise margin until it was stable. It is likely that at some point in the process banding was applied which is further restricting your speed.
Whether the problem is in your house or in the equipment in the exchange can't be checked until you try the test socket. Note that in the changeover to Plusnet the connection in the exchange was changed.
Unfortunately BT Openreach won't accept a fault until the 10 day training period is over.
One point of concern is the low upstream noise  margin and, as it is likely that you were provisioned with an uncapped upstream, this may have been creating problems in itself and hence it was capped again by the automatic systems