cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New House - Connection speed seems low.

Robskiwarrior
Grafter

Re: New House - Connection speed seems low.

Thanks Chris - yea I checked the service status just before to check it wasn't just me Cheesy
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

I opened a ticket because I don't think we can solve this here anymore.
Question ID: 63422132
Thanks Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That will cost you dear possibly circa £150. There might be some alternative if we could see exactly what you are up against.
In any event BT still would have to get a new cable into the house somewhere and your internal wiring is junk old standard which you'd have to sort out yourself. It's not a difficult job.
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

Update:
After raising the ticket - and puzzled noises coming from the team in the realms of "why the hell doesn't this house have a test socket" there is an engineer on his way for Saturday morning to solve some mysteries and hopefully fix the issues Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

And something Rob failed to mention - the CIDT test shows a high resistance imbalance fault.
I've recommended to stock up on tea and biccies, and ask the engineer to test at the cab or the top of the pole, and for a new drop wire from the pole to a new NTE5 socket (they only need one socket in the house)
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

Thought I would update you - unfortunately the man did not accept lubrication and biscuits, but he was very helpful and did all he felt he could...
The actual update I put in the ticket:
The man has been and he was really helpful - he has managed to reposition my master socket - which was a blank plate in the loft under the insulation above the kitchen. So I have a master socket! Rejoice.
Now I know the reports don't come back from BT until the end of the day but I thought I would fill you in a little Smiley
He said that the banding of the job was wrong so he couldn't do anything else, and that there might be a device on the line that is causing a false length to reduce noise (old telephone trickery) and that someone else needs to come out and sort it out, with the right job banding. He was expecting a phone fault and not broadband.
So the issue: My line length is about 944 meters which means I should have an attenuation of about 12 and speeds easily of about 19Mbs - 22mbs. My Attenuation is currently 58 meaning that it thinks my line is over 4000 meters long.
So that is the next thing that needs to be address Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion

Well Rob, it was a phone job, your explanation doesn't say whether he dealt with the cable entry by the door and put in any new cable. It sounds like he's saying there's an RF2 filter on the line.
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

I don't know if it was or wasn't a phone job - just going off what he said Cheesy
No he didn't reconnect the house or deal with the door but found the master socket in the roof in the kitchen under the insulation Smiley  Basically he redirected the master socket to the socket by the kitchen door and made it all nice there.
Anotherone
Champion

So did he use any new cable with this re-directing?  Installing telephone cable & sockets and relocating sockets is a telephone or POTS (plain old telephone service) job.
He should have been tasked with routing a new cable from outside into a new master socket and then all your problems would have been solved. I'm betting the RF2 filter is behind the door frame and a new cable would have eliminated it or at least a potentially unreliable joint that is not accessible.
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

checkit Cheesy
http://d.pr/i/q0Te
re-routed wires... Cheesy
And yes - the man rerouted to a new socket next to my PC Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Good, looks solved then!
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

Well nearly...
looks like I got banded - maybe another fault?
http://d.pr/i/d5BJ