cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre customer - speeds low

MeMeMe
Grafter

New Fibre customer - speeds low

I have just migrated from plusnet ADSL2 to plusnet Fibre, and the speeds I am getting are much lower than advertised.
The predicted speeds were 57Mb and 15Mb Upload. II'm on the unlimited 80/20 plan.
Via speedtest I'm getting 44MB down, and only 7Mb up. but actual use, it's worse than that, I'm actually only getting 1-3Mb Upload.
I saw a couple of posts suggesting some people had been activated on the 40/10 plan by mistake, and I'm wondering if that's happened to me.
I did a speedtest in the bt speed checker, which reports:
Download: 44.80
Upload: 7.53
Ping: 23.38
Then on the further diagnostics:
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Max Achievable Speed: 45.61 Mbps
Download speedachieved during the test was - 44.8 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-45.61 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 45.61 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed: 7.53 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed: 20 Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Those numbers seem very low, esp. the upload which was what I upgraded for.
Is there a problem?
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Fibre customer - speeds low

From those results you are on the 80/20 plan but speeds are well down on the estimate
I suggest raising a fault report
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@MeMeMe
You may have noticed a few posts from other users who have been affected in a similar way by a known issue. I've just checked the relevant systems that would show me if you were also affected and you haven't been so raising a fault is definitely the right way to to: http://faults.plus.net
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MeMeMe
Grafter

Okay, I've started the faults test.
It asks me to connect my modem directly to my computer and set up a new connection. What details will I need?
I don't want to disconnect, find I am missing some information and then find myself unable to connect again.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
We've some info here that should help you through: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/fibre-connection-troubleshooting.shtml
Check there and let us know if there's anything that's not covered.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mushy
Grafter

Is the IP Profile restricted to 45.61mbps because of a fault, incorectly set to start with or because that is actually right for the line as a download speed of 44.8 is very good for that profile ?
MeMeMe
Grafter

I dont know if your question is directed to me - I have no way of knowing. I know when the engineer installed the line, his test reported the same speed I gave, and he was surprised. He expected it to be higher, but said it should improve when the profile is set.
pullenuk
Grafter

You do realise it can take a few days for the speed to adjust? The line goes into "training" which the speeds go up and down.
Also resetting or unplugging anything will make the speed shoot straight down as it thinks there is a fault.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

@MeMeMe
The fault ticket that you raised wasn't completed, if you could raise this again at http://faults.plus.net and complete the diagnostic questions we'll then be able to investigate this further if needed.
mushy
Grafter

Quote from: MeMeMe
I dont know if your question is directed to me - I have no way of knowing. I know when the engineer installed the line, his test reported the same speed I gave, and he was surprised. He expected it to be higher, but said it should improve when the profile is set.

I was just noting that the speed seemed to be correct for that profile, its the profile that is the problem as it doesn't meet your estimated figure and was just trying to highlight why it didn't match and was just offering possible solutions as to why that may be.
Sorry for any confusion.
MeMeMe
Grafter

Quote from: chrispurvey
@MeMeMe
The fault ticket that you raised wasn't completed, if you could raise this again at http://faults.plus.net and complete the diagnostic questions we'll then be able to investigate this further if needed.

Yes, one of the steps in the ticket required me to disconnect the network and connect just my desktop to the openreach modem. I couldn't proceed beyond that point, I cant interrupt the family connection. I will have the house to myself this weekend, and will restart the fault procedure then.
MeMeMe
Grafter

Quote from: mushy
Quote from: MeMeMe

I was just noting that the speed seemed to be correct for that profile, its the profile that is the problem as it doesn't meet your estimated figure and was just trying to highlight why it didn't match and was just offering possible solutions as to why that may be.
Sorry for any confusion.

Yes, i noticed that too. It's why i assumed I was one of those that was mistakenly signed on as a 40/10 customer. I don't know why the profile is incorrect (at least, i hope it's incorrect)!.
MeMeMe
Grafter

Quote from: pullenuk
You do realise it can take a few days for the speed to adjust? The line goes into "training" which the speeds go up and down.
Also resetting or unplugging anything will make the speed shoot straight down as it thinks there is a fault.

I've been received mixed messages about that. Some say the speed is pretty much set within a day or so of the connection being established.
I have only disconnected the line once (to move the modem), and I disconnected through the router's admin page before switching the modem off, so it shouldn't effect my speed.
I've done many speed tests since the line was upgraded (including one just now). They've been very consistent, showing very close to the same download & upload as shown in my first post.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It would be good if you could do the last few tests, on fibre there is no 10 day training period, when you first connect up you may see that your speeds fluctuate over the first couple of days bu that should be it.