cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Installation

Sabranan

New Fibre Installation

Howdy,
I've just transferred to Fibre (Openreach engineer was here less than an hour ago) and I'm finding my speeds are a bit strange.  According to the BT Speedtester:
Download Speed - 8.09 Mbps
Upload Speed - 8.28 Mbps
Ping Latency 41.25 ms
Speedtest.net also pretty much agrees with the above results.  The estimated speeds were 66.5Mbps download and 20Mbps upload.
I'm guessing this is some kind of profile issue since the product change page is saying I'm still on Plusnet Unlimited.  I can't do the further diagnostics on the BT Speedtest because when I try it says:
"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
If someone can help me out a bit here that'd be great!
17 REPLIES 17
tomwatson
Grafter

Re: New Fibre Installation

What does your IP Profile show as here?
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Smiley
Sabranan

Estimated line speed:
   17Mb (This may vary between 10Mb and 19.5Mb) - Checked on 2013-05-31 15:05:08
Current line speed:
   8.5 Mb
dick:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
That should now be updated, please let us know? We haven't yet received confirmation that the order is complete, so the account type hadn't changed - now done manually Smiley
Sabranan

It's starting to look a bit healthier now, 30.76 Mbps download and 8.38 Mbps upload from the BT Speedtester.  IP Profile page says:
Estimated line speed:
   66Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-05-31 15:05:08
Current line speed:
   78 Mb
Still not up to where it should be but I'm guessing things will sort themselves out now that my account type is correct?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep, they certainly should do - if things don't improve let us know and we'll see what we can do, but it'd be best to see where things are in a couple of days.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It's starting to look a bit healthier now, 30.76 Mbps download and 8.38 Mbps upload from the BT Speedtester

Is that with a wired or wireless connection ? You really need to do a wired test as there are many factors that can affect wireless speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sabranan

That was on wireless, just tried it on a wired connection and it's 31.11 Mbps down and 8.32 Mbps up.  No real difference in other words lol, which I suppose is to be expected since we have wireless N at 300 Mbps here.
Edit: Just tried power cycling the openreach modem and my router, now on 41.57 Mbps down and 8.15 Mbps up.  Download speed seems to be getting there but I am a bit concerned about the upload speed.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just tweaked your profile on our side (74800 now across both our side and BTs, the upstream is set on 20000) - just wondering if that's made any difference at all? Hoping so, otherwise I suspect it's just going to be a matter of time.
Sabranan

Still looks the same at 31.68 Mbps down and 8.11 Mbps up I'm afraid...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I've just double checked a few things and can't see any obvious reasons why that might be the case so as Matt mentions it should hopefully be just a matter of time now before that improves.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Sabranan

So, an interesting development since last time!  I've realised that the cable going between my openreach modem and my router was only a 100Mbps rather than a 1Gbps, so I’ve replaced that along with the cable I was using to connect my laptop to the router for testing.
That has made absolutely no difference, but I figured it was worth a try and high time I had some proper Gigabit Ethernet cables anyway.
Funnily enough what did make a difference was using IE instead of Firefox for testing.  I get ~65Mbps download speed in IE, which is great!  Strangely, using Firefox (including in safe mode) seems to limit it to somewhere around 30Mbps, as does connecting via wireless.  File downloads work as they should though.
Upload speed remains a bit poor, sitting at ~8.5Mbps.
notveryhappy

You think your having a tough time!!  Angry
Had my install on the 20th June to fibre, and as of today my download is 0.18 down and 4 MB up........ yes that's right, I've gone back in time to 1999 speeds, I was on getting 19 MB down before I upgraded.
So obviously I've called Plusnet, I've tried the manual connection direct to the BT modem with no improvement, reset both router and modem, I've left them both on without anything connected for 24 hrs but it's still the same  Sad
My house contains 3 children who all need an internet connection...... Netflix, xbox, Pingu! and myself, I work from home and guess what, I need an internet connection!!!!!
This has been a royal pain in the arss to say the least!!! with no indication as to went this will be fixed!  Undecided
So if there is anyone out there...... PLEASE HELP
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hello there notveryhappy,
I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems with your fibre connection too. I can see that you've raised the fault through our faults tool, the automated testing picked up a fault and has raised it with our suppliers.
They have advised that no errors have been detected during their internal testing systems and have said they believe the issue to be resolved. - From your comments, I can guess that it's not resolved.
Your openreach modem is synchronised at full speed upload and download.
Are you able to perform the TAP3 test - You'll be able to do this by clicking on the "Continue" option at the bottom of the speed test results page, as per your attachment.
You'll need to change the username that you connect to the internet with whilst you do it, to speedtest@speedtest_domain - Once you've done this, head over to http://contactus.plus.net and update the fault ticket ( 71032637 ) to say that test 3 has been completed and you're still experiencing the problem.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Matt
notveryhappy

Thanks for the reply.
Followed the instructions but can not run test 3. For a moment today I did have some descent speed but it has returned to nothing again.
I think I want to just go back to the package I was on, until plusnet fibre is more reliable.