cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Installation - Speed away from router

carlwalters
Dabbler

New Fibre Installation - Speed away from router

Hello, we had PlusNet Fibre installed yesterday and all went fairly smoothly.  The router  - Technicolor TG582n FTTC - is sitting in the office and I ran the recommended BT speed test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ while plugged straight into the new router and the DL speeds were about 72Mbps which is great Smiley  Previously with O2 ADSL we were only getting about 12Mbps.
However for all other computers and devices in the house that are not plugged directly into the router it's not so great Sad
Firstly
  HomePlug - Up until to now I'd been using HomePlug to get the broadband around the house to another couple of PCs using several of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Mbps-Home-Double/dp/B000TV7FJ4 . My previous broadband speed (O2 ADSL) was limited to about 12Mbps (we're fairly close to the exchange) and the HomePlug adapters seemed  fine (I got pretty much the same speed whether at the main router or out of a HomePlug adapter).  Now however with 72Mbps at the new router I am only seeing about 20Mbps out of the HomePlug adapters. I've tried plugging them into various different wall sockets and 20Mbps seems  to be the top speed I can get.  So do I need better HomePlug adapters? Or is my house wiring the limiting factor in all this?
Secondly
  Wireless - There are also several wireless devices (Kindles/ Andorid Tablets etc) scattered throughout the house.  I've checked speed on these and they seen to have a maximum DL speed of about 10Mbps.  Should the router be capable of better that this?  I also have one wireless range extender http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WN3000RP.aspx to try and boost the wireless range to the upstairs bedrooms.
7 REPLIES 7
thomasjc1
Grafter

Re: New Fibre Installation - Speed away from router

I don't know about home plugs but with wireless I upgraded my laptop I put in a different wifi card and an extra antenna and I get 73 mb around most of the house. The other laptops are standard and usually get around 50mb. iPhone gets around 30-40 you won't get full speed with phones or tablets because of the wifi inside them is not up to the job.
Also didn't use the plusnet router from the start bought a asus rt- n66u which has a beast of a wireless range
Just a couple ideas what I did, you will get better replies about home plugs and the plusnet router
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Re the homeplugs I'd imagine they should be adequate. If possible I'd try connecting a PC (assuming you have one) directly to the router via ethernet and see how the speeds compare.
Re wireless the router should be capable of the speeds you mention but it's likely the speeds may be a little lower than if you were connected via ethernet or powerline adapters.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I wouldn't expect 85Mbps Homeplugs to be adequate for an FTTC user!
Also try reading the original post properly Adam!
Quote from: carlwalters
I ran the recommended BT speed test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ while plugged straight into the new router and the DL speeds were about 72Mbps which is great Smiley 
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I have Jelv, obviously I missed that point, but thanks for the heads up all the same.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mikehiow
Grafter

20mbps is pretty good out of 85mbps home plug adapters.
I've only ever seen about 32 out of my 200s.
Bought some 500s today and they jump between 86 and 109 with an average of 94mbps over 30 seconds.
£39.99 for a pain from PcWorld.
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've just retired my Solwise 85Mbps homeplugs as they where limiting my internet speed to around 13 meg.
I just bite the bullet & ran a cat 5e cable between router downstairs & pc upstairs.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

The 582n is the subject of many complaints on here because of its poor wireless speeds. I replaced mine with a superb Asus RT-N56U, it doubled my speeds immediately.