cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Install

thecork
Grafter

Re: New Fibre Install

Only the adsl one that has just been swapped out.  Can that be setup to be used with fibre, they seem pretty identical!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Was that a PlusNet Tg582n ? If so they are pretty identical, except some have USB ports and some don't. You ought to be able to flash the ADSL one with the FTTC firmware, unless it objects to the lack of USB port . The firmwares and flashing tool are here http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/ . It's got to be worth a try, you've nothing to lose!

My guess is that it's actually a faulty PSU but I'd be reluctant to just replace it with the ADSL one in case the Fibre router actually has a fault which bricked the PSU!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thecork
Grafter

Thanks - i'll take a look later as I'm at work at the mo and had to leave the gf at home all day with no internet (again!!).  The adsl and fibre routers were delivered at the same time as we had a muck up with the fibre originally, they both look identical and think they are the tg582n's yes.  Obviously the only different was one shipped with an extra ethernet cable and the socket marked up with a red label.  Not sure if they have usb ports or not without looking.  If so ill take a look at flashing the firmware.  Shame the adsl one can't just be configured with the fibre details (I'm assuming pppoe)?
thecork
Grafter

What is the difference between the two firmware files for FTTC?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

One's just a later version, I'd go with the latest ( 10.2.5.2 )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thecork
Grafter

Thanks, i'll give it a try.  Would it be worth trying to re-flash the fibre one sent or am i assuming correctly that the firmware update utility probably won't detect it since i cannot get an IP address or anything.
If i succesfully flash the old adsl one, what details do i need to get it online as i assume they are normally preconfigured with username/passwords etc.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I don't think you'll get very far with reflashing the Fibre one but it might be worth a try, It does have a recovery mode, which it may be in, but you'll probably have to put a static IP on the PC you're using ( try 192.168.1.2 )
If the flash is successfull on the ADSL one it might self configure since it may still be registered on your account. If not you need to put in your PlusNet username & password
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml

thecork
Grafter

Cheers, ill let ya know how i get on, thanks for your help.
thecork
Grafter

Managed to get this sorted, flashing the fttc firmware over my adsl router did indeed work, thanks for your help. Shame plusnet couldn't send me a working router in the first place and lucky that i know what I'm doing with these sort of things, support has not been very good on this guys! (Apart from you MisterW).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

flashing the fttc firmware over my adsl router did indeed work, thanks for your help
That's good. I thought it probably would. As a matter of interest, did the ADSL one have a USB port ?

thecork
Grafter

Nope, neither did.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Neither ? I thought all the Fibre ones had USB ports ?
At least we've confirmed that the fttc f/w works without a USB port.

thecork
Grafter

Nope, both were identical models.  Can someone from support please confirm some information around speeds pls. I know the fibre can take a few days to settle down, the bt engineer said we should be receiving 60mbits down but so far every single speed test I've done has been 13mbs.
Adam
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@thecork - What is your Current Line Speed? It may need resetting from the ADSL value to the FTTC value.
Support can do this over the phone, or if you wait until the DCT guys are back in action in the morning, they will do it for you.
thecork
Grafter

Hi jagged, it says 14.1 so I suspect what your saying is correct as speedtests have been roping out around 13.9. No biggie tonight hopefully get it sorted tomorrow.