cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Install - Unusable Internet

scooter1556
Dabbler

New Fibre Install - Unusable Internet

I had Fibre Unlimited installed today. The BT engineer came out and installed the new faceplate on the master socket and connected the modem. The DSL light is green on the modem and the internet light is lit on the Plusnet router so all is seemingly fine. The problem is that all day the internet speed has been slow to the point of being unusable. When I say slow, it has taken me 3 hours to register and post this message... Websites such as Facebook will partially load after around 5 minutes but will eventually timeout before loading is complete. I rang support earlier and was told that this is to be expected for the first 10 days which I accepted and said I would wait for 24 hours to see if the issue improved but on speaking to others with the same service in the area, their speeds were good from the offset. I have restarted both modem and router twice today with no change. I have also made tested both wireless and wired to the router to make sure it was not just wireless playing up.
My online account (which I managed to load eventually) says that my line speed is currently at 78Mb. I can understand that the line speed may fluctuate to begin with and disconnect from time to time but we have more or less had unusable internet since Fibre was connected this morning. I will report back in the morning if things have improved but I wanted some clarification that this is abnormal (or is normal). I would post some speed test results but none of the web pages will fully load to the point of being able to run a test.
Cheers.
16 REPLIES 16
scooter1556
Dabbler

Re: New Fibre Install - Unusable Internet

No improvement this morning unfortunately. Still not able to load most web pages. My tablet had updates this morning and was unable to download a 4mb file without throwing an error. I can only assume that something must be wrong with the line/modem. I don't think I can check SNR or connection speed on the BT modem? The router is working perfectly for all local network traffic so I don't think the router is at fault. Is it possible that the master socket faceplate fitted is faulty? I have tried a different ADSL cable from the socket to the modem which made no difference.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

In answer to your original question. Yes, it is definitely abnormal.  I think you will need to phone Plusnet to report the fault. 
Did the engineer perform a speed test using equipment he brought with him, or perhaps asked you to run a speed test on one of your connected computers to ensure everything was fine?
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: scooter1556
I rang support earlier and was told that this is to be expected for the first 10 days

They were wrong!  You may expect a bit of speed variation initially (though most customers on FTTC get a decent speed from the start (sometimes it takes a little time for various profiles to catch up though) but you should absolutely never get sub-adsl performance.
Your installing engineer may have been a sub-contractor rather than a BT Openreach engineer, the best ones connect a tester to the new master socket which will sync with the cabinet and give a read-out of sync speed.
Please call customer service and explain that your connection is not just slow but unusable and don't be fobbed off by anyone saying it's to be expected.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
scooter1556
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies! I have just been doing some testing and if I dial-up from my laptop plugged directly into the BT modem everything is fine, down speed of 73Mb and up of 16Mb so it looks like it is an issue with the Plusnet Technicolor router. I will get in touch with support and see what they say.
Thanks again.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

FYI if all you want to know is your Downstream sync speed then you can derive this from the Downstream BT IP Profile, profile x1.033 = Sync speed on FTTC.
Run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Also check your Current Line speed (Login required) don't post your phone number.
Anotherone
Champion

Were your initial speed checks wireless? If so, try an ethernet connection to the router. It may be just your wireless configuration that needs resolving.
scooter1556
Dabbler

I have tested the router over both Ethernet and wireless with the same 'worse than 56k dial-up' performance. Plugged directly into the modem, dialling up on the laptop works perfectly with brilliantly fast broadband. I have tested the router with only the modem connected and a single laptop connected over Ethernet with no change. I have disabled DHCP and the firewall and entered details manually with no change. Any other things I can try to debug the router short of trying the new 'demo' firmware?
dick:quote
w23
Pro

Try a factory reset?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
scooter1556
Dabbler

Just given that a go. Did a factory reset and didn't change any settings on the router once complete and the problem is still there. I guess I would rather it is the router than an issue with the line or BT equipment.
w23
Pro

Certainly looks like it.
Call me 'w23'
Anotherone
Champion

It won't be the line if the PPPoE dial-up is fine, it certainly sounds like it could be a duff router. Which Firmware has it got?
scooter1556
Dabbler

I agree, firmware is 8.C.M.0.
Anotherone
Champion

You could try ringing in and see if you can get it moving for dispatch of a replacement Router, at least you'd have a ticket open on it which if needed, DCT can pick up on Monday.
scooter1556
Dabbler

I have got hold of customer support and I am being sent a replacement router. Fingers crossed  Smiley
Thanks for all the replies.