cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Install - Speed lower than I expected

andyb1126
Hooked

New Fibre Install - Speed lower than I expected

I had my fibre installed on Monday. Estimates on here were for the full 80 / 20. The Openreach guy said my line was really solid and I would get 79.9 down and 20 up. Ive always had a good line and it was even better after open reach recently did some work on the pole outside my house, and Im only about 30yds from the green box. Anyhow, Ive been checking regularly, Im only getting between 40 and 50.
Ive left it for a few days but if anything its going slightly slower. Now dont get me wrong, its still quick, but I cant understand why Im not getting the full 80. I phoned up but the guy told me its because I was wireless, which I dont understand as I thought Wireless N should be faster than the actual internet speed anyway?
Do I just need to wait the 10 days and see how it goes?
Thanks in advance.
Andy
5 REPLIES 5
picbits
Rising Star

Re: New Fibre Install - Speed lower than I expected

My wireless N can give me test speeds between 24Mb and 54Mb on this laptop depending on what kind of day it's having and the distance between my laptop and router.
The *only* reliable and consistent way to test the speeds is to disable the wireless temporarily on your computer and use a wired connection.
*Edit - a post I made a while ago :
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113599.0.html
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Andy,
As DomS has mentioned, you're best off running speed tests via Ethernet. What speeds do you get via this method?
andyb1126
Hooked

Quote from: DomS
My wireless N can give me test speeds between 24Mb and 54Mb on this laptop depending on what kind of day it's having and the distance between my laptop and router.
The *only* reliable and consistent way to test the speeds is to disable the wireless temporarily on your computer and use a wired connection.

Ok, thank you very much. I will try and wire it and test again. If it did turn out to be the wifi, would a replacement dual band router sort that, or is it not worth it?
Thanks.
picbits
Rising Star

To be honest with you, the kind of throughput you get through wireless is more than sufficient for 99% of the stuff most people do.
If you consistently transfer huge files then yes, maybe a replacement router and a better wireless card in your computer may be of benefit but I consider myself quite a heavy user of data (both on the internet and on my internal network) and I only ever connect my laptop via wired if I have more than a few gigabytes of info to move about.
If you do shift large amounts of data, look at the AC routers
andyb1126
Hooked

Thanks both of you. Ive just wired my laptop and got 73 down and 19 up!! Dont know why I didnt try this before!!
Youre right, those kind of speeds are fine. I suppose the way I was looking at it was that I moved from Sky as I could get the full 80 for the same price as Skys 40, so wanted the benefit. But I dont really shift that many large files about, its more that we have a teenage daughter and its always been a constant Battle for Bandwidth!
Thanks guys, Im happy now.  Smiley