Disconnect in there
Power both Plusnet router and Openreach modem off
Power them on again
?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: New Fibre Extra Customer - Installed today - Speeds less than IP Profile

You have it spot on there, yes Smiley Best to leave it a few minutes between the powering off and powering on.
jp28
Dabbler

After doing the above, I ran a non beta speedtest on the bt site:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 48.11 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 50.85 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.32Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

It still shows 74Mbps in my Plusnet profile, and bt website is still reporting I should get 71.3Mbps
Regardless of IP profile, the speedtest before ordering says the estimate is to the nearest MB. Should I raise a fault ticket now?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Definitely worth a go, yes - better than trying too many reboots for sure.
jp28
Dabbler

Done - Ticket ID #62970703
Thanks!
jp28
Dabbler

Just an update back from PlusNet:
**internal**
TESTING
Profile: 33M-67M Downstream, Interleaving Off - 10M-20M Upstream, Interleaving Off
WP Profile: Generic Speed 50800 No Time Out
PTTR: 48108 pass
GEA:
Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 52.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 18.1 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Target Fix Time
Fault Report Advised N
Profile Name 33M-67M Downstream, Interleaving Off - 10M-20M Upstream, Interleaving Off
Time Stamp NA
Thanks for getting back to us, I have checked your connection and tested the line again, no fault is being seen however I have found a Profile Setting which may have been limiting your speeds. I have amended this so you should see better speed results now. Please bear in mind that currently the speed tests that you have performed are within limits for the line.

My IP Profile is now 71 but my actual download speeds are the same as before. Not sure what was changed. Anyone able to add further insight?
rossbeavis

I have Fibre Extra installed on Monday, and the BT engineer spent best part of 5 hours tinkering with the cabling. I had requested a data cabling extension to be installed as part of the installation, but because I live in a 3 storey house, the BT engineer said it would be easier to move the master socket to another outlet, as (because the house is a new build) there is already extensive phone extension cabling around the house, including the room where I wanted the Fibre termination.
We discovered that my speed dropped by 10Mbps to 27Mbps when he put two additional telephone extensions punched into particular points in the socket. There are two places to punch in extensions. The first is post-filter that are part of the faceplate that comes off, on the rear side. The second is on the main part of the master socket assembly, just beneath the VDSL socket to the left. If you use the second patch point, because these termination points are unfiltered, it will introduce masses of interference onto the line, hence the speed drops. Once he took them off, speed went back up to 37Mbits.
Incidentally, I was supposed to be getting around 47Mbps according to BT/PlusNet estimates when I ordered. I can only attribute the drop to 37Mbps to the fact that the master socket was moved up two storeys, which, whilst disappointing, is sort of unavoidable.
rossbeavis

Incidentally, what's the problem with regular reboots of the router/open reach modem on FTTC?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@jp28 - I'm afraid your BT profile is currently set to 50853 which will be causing the slower speeds. If you could run a BT speed test and get the results from that we can see if either it's improved or there's a mismatch on the supplier systems for you?
@rossbeavis - The connection drops whenever you reboot the equipment and if you don't disconnect via the router beforehand the automated DLM system (dynamic line management) will see the drops as a fault and reduce the line speed in order to stabilise the connectoin.
jp28
Dabbler

From Speedtester.bt.com:
Download speed - 46.93Mbps
Upload - 15.3Mbps
IP Profile - 50.85Mbps
As you can see, I'm not experiencing any better speeds like it was suggested on the ticket. Plusnet member centre - High Speed Broadband now says the following:
Estimated line speed:
    71Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-11-11 10:39:57
Current line speed:
    71 Mb
jp28
Dabbler

Just an update on this...
Had a BTOR engineer come round. He tested the line and pair quality, and all came back positive. He informed me my BT cabinet is ~100m away, so very close. He then connected his little machine to the master socket and with help from his colleagues tested the line by pushing 80mbps-100 down the line but the tests still came back at around 50mbps. He said rewiring the house would not help and that's all that my line is capable of.
Can anyone confirm this as being correct? My line is fine, I'm close to the cabinet, the line isn't in need of rewiring, but I'm still only capable of getting 50mbps max?
jp28
Dabbler

Another update. 2nd BT engineer came around and tested some more. He said he managed to bump it to 60Mbps. He went down to the cabinet and tested there and his words were that he gets 80Mbps there, but by the time he goes to my house (less than 100m away) the speed has significantly dropped. He said the thinks there's some problems with the wires, and that everyone connected to it would probably be getting lower speeds, and that all the wires connected to the cabinet probably need to be replaced. He said he'll send off his report.
Does anyone know if BT will do anything about this? And how long it'll take?