cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Customer: Engineer Appointment Nightmare

lucasrsp

New Fibre Customer: Engineer Appointment Nightmare

Hi there...
I signed up for Plusnet Fibre more than a month ago, and unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my fibre to be activated. I'm being really patient with this because I'd rather have Plusnet over other providers, and the support people over the phone have been nothing but gracious and understanding... But honestly, there's some really bad communication going on in there, in between advisers, support, and people in charge of confirming engineer appointments.
I'm posting here because I need some real answers. I can't trust phone support anymore, considering what has happened so far...
- First they sent me an SMS and email stating the initial appointment would be booked for the 6th of June.
- I immediately called them to tell them I couldn't be at the property at that date, and It had to be from the 11th of June onwards. The girl I spoke with said she'd book it for friday 13th. All good.
- Friday 13th comes. Nothing. I call. "Oh sorry, there was a mistake on our part, and I can see that your appointment was never changed. I'm really sorry. Next available date is friday 20th". This guy, Joshua, was very understanding, and actually offered me the first month free as compensation. Great. It's annoying but at least they're recognising their mistake. Still another week without Internet though.
- Friday 20th comes. Nothing. I call. "Oh sorry, I can see you got the email confirming the appointment for the 20th, but actually, in your order, it says the appointment is for the 24th.". I can no longer trust whatever the guys on the phone say, and what's going on back-office. I'm so mad right now. How on earth can they f... up twice?
I fear next tuesday the same thing is going to happen. I'll never see this magical "engineers" that are apparently so scarce and elusive, no one can even tell me exactly when one of them will consider me worth of their time.
My review os plus net so far:
- People I spoke with, phone support: Top notch.
- Actual delivery of services promised: ....... seriously?

Oh and I should note I'm not getting a tone on my landline phone, even though it was activated almost a month ago, as soon as I placed the fibre order. It worked for about two days, and then stopped.
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: New Fibre Customer: Engineer Appointment Nightmare

Really sorry to hear about this,
After digging into your account details I can see that the change of appointment from the 6th to the 13th did go ahead. however I see a note saying the engineer was unable to gain access, I'm assuming this is disputed by yourself? I don't however want that to seem that we're passing the buck as we're still responsible for getting the service installed for you.
I can see that we did try and book an appointment for the 20th, however this wasn't available which is why the 24th was booked.
I'm unhappy to with how this was communicated to you so I'll be passing on some feedback.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
lucasrsp

Hi Adam,
The change of the 6th to the 13th didn't go through. My gf was at home, waiting all morning. No Engineer came. When I called support last friday, they actually confirmed that in fact, the change had been requested, but never confirmed, and the person that picked up the ticket after the initial request, didn't change it all, and sent out an engineer on the 6th (when it was when he couldn't gain access, as no one was there, of course... That's why I wanted it changed in the first place).
This was confirmed by one person in your support team. I have all the details, do you want me to post them here? (I don't know if it's against the rules)
adie:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The change of the 6th to the 13th didn't go through. My gf was at home, waiting all morning. No Engineer came. When I called support last friday, they actually confirmed that in fact, the change had been requested, but never confirmed

Don't worry I saw that noted too, they we're wrong I'm afraid, that's what I've given feedback on.  BT systems showing an engineer tried to visit on the 13th confirms to me that it did go through. I realise there's no point splitting hairs at this point but apologies all the same! 
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
lucasrsp

If that's the case, then I really need to know what did the engineer say... Did he knock the door or ring the bell...? I have a dog, and it barks whenever someone's at the door... I find it hard to believe and engineer did come  as both my gf and my dog would have noticed it! I need to know exactly what happened... I'll set up a military-grade motion detector for next tuesday then...  Crazy
adie:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi I didn't meant to cause you additional concern. Unfortunately we'll never know exactly what they said apart from that they attempted to visit on the 13th but weren't able to gain entry.
Please don't worry about the appointment on the 24th and just reply back here if there are any issues on the day.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

What a sorry tale of incompetence and multiple mess ups. I would be worried about the next appointment, if BT Openreach or one of their not so reliable contractors did attempt a visit on the 13th it would appear they went to the wrong property. It might be worth confirming that the correct address details have been supplied to BT, mind you that may not help because the so called engineers appear to ignore any specific instructions. Such as where the property is or previous history of faults etc. I must be feeling rather cynical today! Sad
lucasrsp

Hi Adam,
So the engineer came today, and set everything up. Woohoo! Faith in plus net restored!
Unfortunately, we still don't have a phone dial tone (the engineer said it might take up to 24 hours), and the router is stuck in "Connecting". The engineer was there for a while and then left, telling my gf we needed to call support because there was an auth error.
I called support and they told me that in fact it my account wasn't active. I was instructed to factory-reset the router, and wait 30 minutes. I told my gf to do this (I'm at work, so I can't do it myself, and my gf can't call support from home). This was about an hour ago or more, and the router is still stuck in "Internet: Connecting" (She's logging in to check the router admin screen).
What could be the issue...? Is there something else we can do on our end?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lucasrsp,
Sorry to hear you're not able to use the service yet!
I've ran a line test and it's come back stating there's a fault on the line. This is explained on Ticket: 87587969 and the estimated resolution time for the fault to be cleared is 26/06/2014 by midnight.
As for the Fibre service it may be affected by this fault on the line, however, I'd advise calling our Technical Support Team when you get home to go through the manual set up to see if you can get connected. I can appreciate you can't use the landline to call so if you're calling from a mobile please call 0345 140 0200 which will either use your included minutes if you're on contract or the call will be charged at the standard cost of calling a landline from your mobile.
lucasrsp

Hi Linn,
Yeah I was on the phone with your support service because there was definitely something strange going on, when I received the ticket you mentioned. Sorry about the double support-contact, but as you can see, I've been waiting for a while, and now when it looks like I might finally get my fibre connection, nope! It doesn't work!  Cry
As I said before, I really appreciate the support you're giving me... I guess a bit more waiting is in order.
If you need more information... The dial tone was gone at least a couple of weeks ago when I tried it (I had only used the phone a couple of times since it was installed almost a month ago)... Do I have to wait on BT for this...? I dread how long it make take to fix!
lucasrsp

Just so you know, Linn, internet is now working.
I came home and simply introduced my username&password on the router manual setup screen, as they were missing.
No dial tone still, though. I've updated the open ticket with this infromation.
Thanks,
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting me know, lucasrsp. Glad to hear the Fibre services is working even though your landline isn't!
I've popped the Fault ticket on hold stating that the estimated repair time is still set for midnight on 26/06/2014. Let us know if anything changes.