cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer with "activated broadband" but no signal?

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: New Customer with "activated broadband" but no signal?

@retroboy
I can see that you still haven't replied to your ticket with the checks I asked you to on the 23rd, please do this so that the Faults Team have all the information that they need. It's likely that BT will soon be asking to send an engineer out.
@penfold
The OP has said even the sync light does not flash.... now IIRC even if the line was  not active the router should try to sync up, indicated by a flashing light, but never going solid. If there is no flashing light then it must either be a router fault, or an issue at the exchange.

Whether or not the light is flashing makes no allusions as to the location of the fault. A flashing light means the router can 'see' some part of the ADSL signal from the exchange but cannot sync with it. No light means no signal. The two situations are treated in exactly the same way, as a no sync fault.
BT have been out

Not a BT broadband faults engineer (SFI)
surely they have the ability to know if the line is active or not

Not the type of engineer that went out
and test using a TEST login

This has got nothing to do with testing a no sync fault as you need to sync before you can log in with any username.
I feel very sorry for the poor customer

So do I, which is why we have a Digital Care Team to steer customers in the right direction to the right support.
Sounds like an issue at the exchange

It could be anywhere on the line, internal to the property or in the exchange.
stop asking the OP to perform tests,

When the OP risks a £169.20 charge for a visit that isn't required, we need to confirm that sufficient testing has been done to ensure nothing internal to the property is causing the fault.
retroboy
Dabbler

Quote from: Ben
@retroboy
I can see that you still haven't replied to your ticket with the checks I asked you to on the 23rd, please do this so that the Faults Team have all the information that they need. It's likely that BT will soon be asking to send an engineer out.

Ben I've just updated the ticket confirming I've -
-Checked router cabling - Yes tried a different cable
-Moved the router to the master socket - Yes done that. (The BT engineer put a new socket on just in case too.)
-Unplugged all other devices (Have indeed)
-Tested alternate filter (Yes I've tried 2 diferent microfilters)
-Tested alternate router / proved router working on alternate line (Yes I've tried an alternate router)
-Tested in test socket (Yes tested in test socket)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll book the engineer for you now...
retroboy
Dabbler

Still no Broadband.
Had an engineer around yesterday who was totally baffled as to why it's not working.  Then various tests performed on the line and the exchange but still no joy.  So I don't know now whether it's actually possible for me to have broadband at all.
Got this email from Plusnet this morning:
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison. Estimated line speed: 2.5Mbps Current line speed: 7.15Mbps

More like 0.00Mbps  Sad
One of the engineers said it could be that some lines are crossing over somewhere between my home and the exchange and the signal is being re-directed along the wrong telephone cable.
Has anyone else experienced this missing broadband weirdness?
dick:green Quote tag fixed.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Very strange. The Faults Team will need to get the engineer's notes before we decide on the next course of action, they will be in touch in due course.
fishrow
Grafter

Quote from: retroboy
]Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison. Estimated line speed: 2.5Mbps Current line speed: 7.15Mbps

Careful retroboy, PlusNet has your details and your account is up at 7Meg as that quote says, so if their software finds that your download usage allowance is breached then be prepared to be paying extra Grin
retroboy
Dabbler

Careful retroboy, PlusNet has your details and your account is up at 7Meg as that quote says, so if their software finds that your download usage allowance is breached then be prepared to be paying extra Grin

Haha... I don't think there's any chance of breaching anything the way things are going  Grin
retroboy
Dabbler

This problem is still dragging on.
Have been trying to book an engineer several times via updating tickets and phone calls. The latest from PN is that my ongoing broadband fault can't be fixed by an engineer as the system for booking the engineer is also faulty.
I'm beginning to lose the will to live. Not sure how many more hours of telephone calls, updating tickets and blunt, non-apologetic replies I can tolerate from Plusnet quite frankly. My next billing date is looming. I'm assuming I'll get a refund on the bill of my "activated broadband date"?
Not a happy bunny  Sad
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sorry that this has taken so long to sort out, we've been having trouble where we would book an engineer's appointment with BT Wholesale but this would not be passed to BT OpenReach. One of my colleagues in the Faults Team is working on this as I type so you can expect a call very soon.
Edit: My colleague from the Faults Team couldn't get through as your landline was engaged, could you please update your ticket with appointment times (your previously requested slots have now passed) and we can get this booked for you.
retroboy
Dabbler

I've updated my ticket but still no confirmation of an appointment. my prefered time slot for an engineer is monday, tuesday or wednesday. 13.00 - 18.00 ben if you can pull some strings to somehow organise this I'dr really appreciate it!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Ben
I'm sorry that this has taken so long to sort out, we've been having trouble where we would book an engineer's appointment with BT Wholesale but this would not be passed to BT OpenReach.

I had exactly the same problem two weeks ago when trying to get a voice line fixed.  I kept making appointments but these were not being passed on to BT OpenReach.   
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can see that we have your appointment booked in for this afternoon, please let us know how it goes.
retroboy
Dabbler

Well I took the day off work to meet the engineer and he didn't show up.
Then I checked the date to make sure it was the 10th and it is....but it's the 10th of SEPTEMBER!!
So thats a whole day wasted. Where do I send my invoice for £144 plus VAT for losing a days wages?  Angry
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm really sorry about the mix up here, I can see that the notes from my colleague on the ticket state September but I checked the fault and it seems that there was an error in booking the appointment anyway. We need to get this re-booked for you, but your requested appointment slots have now passed. Could you please let us know suitable appointment times and we'll get them confirmed for you.
grahamt
Rising Star

I can only imagine how frustrated retroboy must be feeling. Nearly three weeks without broadband and everything keeps going round in circles. It's not Ben's fault - he's being his usual helpful self. But something's going badly wrong with the communication to and within BT (and maybe also between Digital Care and the faults team).
The message from Plusnet showing a live sync at full ADSL1 speed, when the estimated speed was just 2.5Mbs and the BT engineer agreed that the line at the customer end was getting no sync at all, does seem to indicate that some wires are going to the wrong place. Does the relevant part of BT know this? Can Plusnet check the attenuation on the 'active' line to see whether it's plausible for retroboy's distance from the exchange?
I hope Plusnet accounts are in sync with Plusnet Digital Care and that retroboy is going to be refunded for the non-service period.
Given that the fault seems to be somewhere between the exchange and the customer premises it wouldn't even make sense to advise asking for a MAC code and moving to an LLU provider - except just maybe a company not owned by BT could be a bit more forceful with BT Openreach/Wholesale.
Graham