cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer, few questions :)

jh
Dabbler

New Customer, few questions :)

Firstly I'd like to thank PN for activating my line on time Smiley  When I read it could be subject to change I feared the worse, probably due to the weather at the time Cheesy
Have had a good experience so far, problem free using my trusty Netgear DG834GT
Currently synced at 11mb down which was a nice surprise as I wasn't expecting it to be quite that high and 448kbps upload which is expected. Obviously the actual throughput will be something more like 80%+/- of those synced speeds?
I was just wondering now whether my line goes through a period of checking for stability? I'll make sure my router is kept on 24/7 if this is the case. Would be nice if someone could briefly explain what exactly goes on Cheesy
I've read some users mentioning being put on a profile which I assume happens after the 10 day period or whatever it is?
Are my line stats fairly decent? Anything to be concerned with? Just moved into this property, looks better than where I used to live where I got a measly 2mb down as I had something like 59.0 db down line attenuation.
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 11199 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 36.0 db 19.7 db
Noise Margin 5.3 db 23.6 db
12 REPLIES 12
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: New Customer, few questions :)

Welcome to the forums.
Your router stats look good, sync speed spot on what  Kitz's calculator gives for 36dB attenuation. Smiley
Your line does go through a training period which is normally 10 days. During this time leaving the router on 24x7 is usually best. Personally I'd suggest leaving it on permanently if you are happy to do that.
The IP Profile for your current sync speed should be 9000kbps. This represents the idealised maximum throughput speed. Actual speed will be less than that by 500-1000kbps due to the overheads of managing TCP/IP data transfer. Your IP Profile should be set for the first time within 3 days of the line going live, though normally this takes place within a day.
David
jh
Dabbler

sweet thanks for the clarification!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jh,
we also have a brief explanation of the 10 day training period here
Jojo Smiley
jh
Dabbler

Been 8 days or so now, line seems to be settling down nicely
Connection Speed 8816 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 36.0 db 19.8 db
Noise Margin 11.1 db 19.3 db
Just wondered if I'd be able to put in a request for interleaving to be turned off? if so how can I raise a ticket?
I've also set up direct debit for my monthly payment, it now seems to be showing as active so I presume this will now take priority over my previous card method?
Thanks again,
jhpew
pierre_pierre
Grafter

something peculiar, you first router stat suggested that you were on ADSL2, your last only on ADSL, that want looking at before you worry about interleaving
You will have to wait for the end of ten days as BT stick with that  and wont accept any changes.

Billing - PN only take the first one by card, your DD will be taken 3 working days after the end of your first period, normally one calender month after activation, if you go to the VMU page https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php and click on View this month's usage it should show you your month end date
jh
Dabbler

Quote from: pierre_pierre
something peculiar, you first router stat suggested that you were on ADSL2, your last only on ADSL, that want looking at before you worry about interleaving

How can you tell?
WWWombat
Grafter

Looks like something better than ADSL to me - the speed of 8816 is higher than ADSL will go.
It is interesting to see your speed has dropped a little and your noise margin has increased. It suggests that some re-training has gone on.
Have you power-cycled your router at all during since you started teh 10-day period?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jh
Dabbler

Yeah unfortunately was getting some timeouts while playing a game and then couldn't reconnect to the server, my internet was still fully functional and could connect to any other server on my favorites list so I guess it was just a problem with the particular IP addresses of the hosts gameservers. Nevertheless I rebooted my router on a couple of occasions, even though I didn't really want to and it sort of rectified the problem temporarily. I'm not fussed about the drop in sync rate as the highest throughput I've been able to receive has been about 6.60mb even when I was synced as high as 11/12mb and this has not changed now.
dick:quote
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sorry yes the adsl limit is 8128
and at what time did you reboot, and you said you did it several times, if you did it to close together, BT DLM will think you line is iffy and drop your speed,  any reboot after about 2 pm will also be likely to drop your speed
jh
Dabbler

don't think I ever rebooted on the same day, can't say exactly when but one may have been in the evening hence the drop like you say, the others would have been early morning. Anyway my throughput has never been higher than 6.60mb on a speedtest so this drop in sync doesn't really bother me (surely it's just for the better as I now have a nicer Noise Margin on my downstream? when it was synced at 11mb+ it would be as low as 4.2db) I didn't probably reboot until a good 3-5 days in and noticed the odd dropout here and there anyway and slight changes in sync rate down to about 10,000 kbps.
Since my last post my lines changed to:
Connection Speed 7645 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 36.0 db 19.8 db
Noise Margin 15.2 db 20.1 db
and I haven't touched my router at all so it's probably just going through the 10 day process thing. Still maxing 6.60mb+/- on speedtest.net so as long as it doesn't drop anymore I should be alright. Today should be the 10th day since I've had my broadband I think @ about 11pmish
Would it be safe to say I could hand in a ticket for interleaving to be turned off now that my 10 days training period are nearly up?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jh,
Yes, I would certainly put  a ticket in for that now.
Jojo Smiley
jh
Dabbler

sorted, ID is 38080135