Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):81 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):9 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote):
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):2.594 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down):2 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):    2 / 6.243
HEC Errors (Up/Down):- / 6.243 / 5.937
Only the one connection which is connected into the test socket, the TG582N router and my phone are plugged directly into the test socket via the microfilter which is the same as your link and should rule out any problems with internal wiring.
I have a TP Link wireless connection going from the router to my freesat box and thats it.
BT engineer said there was no problem inside the house and fixed the line outside which gave a good speed increase and I am very happy with the SN level but what else besides a faulty router can cause the speed loss?  And what in your opinion should the speed be going on the stats?
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: New Customer and getting slow speeds

There must be some general background noise present at the frequencies used by ADSL, this will reduce the potential Noise margin. So when the modem/router syncs with the exchange it aims for the current Target and because there is noise the sync speed will be slower.
Personally, I think that if the DS attenuation figure in the stats is accurate, then 7.5Mbps is possibly optimistic, but if your line was good then around 7Mbps should be achievable. However, the upstream attenuation is not consistent with the downstream which is why I asked about the filters.
So I am currently think that noise may be affecting the US quite significantly as well.
Try this check - login to the stats - and watch the Noise margin figures - you may need to refresh the browser to see updates -
Now turn off All wireless devices and watch the noise margins.
If it's a cordless phone, start with that - turn off all the handsets and the base-station making sure it's power unit is unplugged from the mains.
Then turn off your TP Link Wireless units by unplugging from the mains, also switch off the Freesat box and unplug from the mains if you aren't in the middle of recording something.
Also turn off the Wireless on the 582n and make sure you don't have any mobile phones near the modem/router or phone line.
Don't forget to refresh the browser to check for Noise Margin changes. Post back any findings.
If there is absolutely no changes, switch everything back on again.
grahamholmes
Grafter

Good morning, I have switched off everything one by one and the only thing that made a difference to the SN was when I turned off the wireless on the router it went from 5.7 to 6.5db DS.
Since turning the wireless back on it is hovering at about 5.7-6db.
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, that should not happen. How long is the lead from filter to modem/router - is it the original?
I'd wait until daylight hours (less noise usually, so better sync speeds), but try a filter swap.
Use this Disconnect method whenever you want to change anything, resync, reboot etc. - it helps prevent the Exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection issue -
Log in to the modem/router and go to the Internet box and click "Disconnect" on the PPP(oA) Internet connection - this drops the session to the ISP but not the sync. Wait a few moments and then power down the modem/router. Again wait a minute and unplug from the line. Make whatever changes you want offline and take at least 10 minutes. (When you want to make configuration changes to the modem/router power it up but stay offline ie not plugged into the filter).
When done, reconnect and power up, log in to the Interface and click "Connect" on the PPP(oA) Internet connection when/if it hasn't done so automatically. If you look at the stats immediately after sync, the Noise Margin showing is usually the current Target margin.
(You can use Disconnect/Connect on the Internet session without a power down to Gateway hop).
I recommend not using that method more than 5 times in an hour and then leave it for the rest of the day.
Anyway, after changing the filter, post the stats taken immediately after sync.
grahamholmes
Grafter

Just come home and looked at the stats and the DS has increased and I can also see that I have had a disconnect, so perhaps if I leave well alone and see what happens over the next week?
Uptime:0 days, 6:46:42
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5.632
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:30,5 / 47,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:22,0 / 5,7
Cheers
Anotherone
Champion

Obviously that's your choice, but I'd still recommend trying another filter when you have the opportunity to do a daytime swap.
When posting the stats if you can include the error figures, they can be revealing.
As you've had a drop in sync, check your ticket to see if it was Plusnet line testing, otherwise keep an ear on your phone line in case there is a residual fault.
You didn't mention the length of the modem/router lead by the way?
grahamholmes
Grafter

Hi, the sync speed has gone up from 5280 to 5632 thats why I'm a bit afraid to to touch anything!
Lead is about 1.5m long and is the one supplied with the router.
I'll see how I get on and will let you know, cheers for your help.
Anotherone
Champion

Just to let you know that as you seem to be on a 20CN exchange (based on all your reported sync speeds) your current IP profile will be 4.5Mbps.
You can confirm your current IP profile by running the Diagnostic Speedtest at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
On a 20CN exchange, sync speeds in the range 5120 kbps to 5664 kbps will give a 4.5Mbps profile. You are currently 64kbps short of a 5Mbps profile!
Check that your Current Line speed (Login required) is the same.
If your sync speed drops below 5120, your profile will drop immediately. If your sync speed goes to 5696 or above, it will typically take 3 to 4 days for the BT profile to increase and upto 24hrs for the Plusnet Current Line speed to catch up.
Assuming no current line problems, if you see your current DS SNRM at a stable 6.8dB or higher in the middle of the day, that would be a good time to try a resync to achieve a higher sync speed.
grahamholmes
Grafter

Hi, I don't seem to have a net connection today, is it because the line is being tested due to me experiencing slow speeds?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It's showing that you currently have a active connection. Have you tried more than one device on the net?
grahamholmes
Grafter

Yes!
Anotherone
Champion

Login to your modem/router interface and try clicking Disconnect and then Connect. I'm assuming you've got sync?
grahamholmes
Grafter

That's what I have just done as soon as I came home from work, I did not want to mess up any line testing if it was taking place.
So its up and working again, just hope PN can sort something out with my low speed (ticket raised).
Anotherone
Champion

When you say low speed, is that sync speed? Can you post the full stats (with error figures as well as Uptime)?
grahamholmes
Grafter

Sync speed and line speed is slower than quoted (7.5mb +/- 1mb)
Uptime:0 days, 0:55:01
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:448 / 5.536
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]:500,29 / 6,09
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12,0 / 20,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:30,5 / 46,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:21,0 / 6,3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):135 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):15 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / -