cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer - Not getting the speeds I should be.

FIXED
seancowling
Rising Star

New Customer - Not getting the speeds I should be.

Hi,

Recently signed up for Plusnet broadband as a new customer. Broadband went live on the 15th October, and has never reached anywhere near the achievable or even minimum limit (between 10Mbps and 19Mbps and minimum guaranteed access line speed is 6.5Mbps) that were advertised. Going by the various speed tests I have run (using a laptop with a cabled connection), I am getting nearer 1Mbps.

All of the equipment I have used to set up was new, sent from Plusnet, and I have installed it as per the instructions that came with the router and associated kit. Its been 10 days now (that I was advised in the instructions to leave to allow for the signal to settle down), and its not getting any better.

I tried last night at home to speak to a customer service rep on live chat, but even that was causing problems.

Any help? This certainly wasn't what I had been expecting.

4 REPLIES 4
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: New Customer - Not getting the speeds I should be.

Fix

Hi there @seancowling,

Welcome to the community forums and thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your issue.

I've had a check of the connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as there is only 0.4mbps going to your router where your estimates are way higher, although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault and getting an engineer out to investigate further. Let us know how it goes.

seancowling
Rising Star

Hi @BenB,

Since writing this post, I have spoken to one of your guys on the web chat. He suggested that "a setting was down way too low", and that he's changed it. He recommended using the reset button when I return home and that the problem should be fixed.

If this does not work, then I will try your recommended steps as above.

As I am in a rental property, I am unsure that the phone (i.e. the handset itself) that is in the flat works correctly - is there another way to check the phone line?

Thanks for your reply.

Sean.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @seancowling,

If you're able to borrow another phone handset from a friend or neighbour then you would be able to run the tests for the landline that way.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
seancowling
Rising Star

Hi, 

Problem now sorted, and getting the expected line speed.

Thanks @BenB and @TheMightyAJ.

Sean