Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Broadband Customer. Slow Download and Upload Speeds

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New Broadband Customer. Slow Download and Upload Speeds

<p>I've tested the phone line and it's showing no fault found, now that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one! Especially if there is definite noise on the line. <br data-mce-bogus="1"></p><p>Assuming I'm looking at the right account, here's the connection logs:

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
azztheraz
Grafter

Hi all, 

I went through the process of reporting a fault through Plusnet. Tested the router in the test socket at the mains etc. got to a stage where I was questioned whether I wanted to proceed to have an engineer sent out. Yet they warned that if the problem was with the hardware (i.e., the router Plusnet provided) then I could be charged for the call out?! Even though the router is Plusnet's and I have only switched the router from the Sky Hub (previous supplier) to the Plusnet one. Therefore I opted out and have reverted back to the Sky Hub to see if the dropouts persist. Have had my previous broadband supplier's broadband router (Sky Hub) in place since yesterday now, and as far as I know there has been no dropouts. But speed is still slow. Just makes me wonder why I have been sent hardware that is not capable of providing the service I pay for. Having to revert to a previous service provided router is not a good start ... 

azztheraz
Grafter

How do all, 

Sorry there has been no reply for a while. Been ill. We had a internet dropout on the sky hub we have been using as a replacement for the hardware plusnet sent us. It is has otherwise held up. Just once again the internet speeds are lethargic. I cannot watch a stream on the amazon fire stick without it buffering more than it plays. Or browsing on two smart phones simultaneously. I just feel plusnet should be doing more than what they are. Not an overjoyed customer at this moment in time by any stretch of the imagination.  

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

As Sky routers are locked you're connecting to Sky at the moment not ourselves which won't help matters as you're not connecting to us.

If you want we can send you a replacement router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
azztheraz
Grafter

As you may read through the feed I was requested to try broadband through another router to see if the dropouts persisted. The only one I had available was the previous suppliers. I would like another router yes. But is it really going to make a difference? The one you sent was brand new? 

Thanks 

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

I've been having the same problem for coming up three months Aaron with no solution in sight. From a barely acceptable 3.5mbps download I now never ever get better than 1.5mbps and often a lot less along with a crackling phone line. Be prepared for a long haul with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Have you asked for a full refund? To be fair to plusnet they have been reimbursing me each month so far, so it's well worth asking them. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
azztheraz
Grafter

Here we still are. Same scenario. Multiple drop outs. Agonisingly slow connection and download speeds. What do you have to do to get some customer service around here? PN pride themselves on it. Yet do not for the life of them know how to do it. I am due to move house this month. Do you think I want to bring PN along with? I think you can answer that one.

On first look I have to decude wether to pay the termination fees to leave mid contract (around £116 ((do not quote me on that with 8 months left)) or pay the moving fee to bring them along with me, to have the same awful broadband I did here?

They advertised higher speeds at my new house. But who is to say I am going to fall for that one again ...

Anyone had any positives at all with PN?

Anyone had any joy with cancelling and not paying the termination fees due to lack of service?

Help

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Ditto, still here and into month six with under 1Mb/s download but to be fair to plusnet, they are still refunding me in full each month - well so far anyway. Once they stop then I'll be off like a rat up a drainpipe......minus any penalty payment!

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looking over your account there's no fault open, nor has there been. Without reporting the issue to us, there is nothing we can do to help investigate nor would we allow you to leave with no termination fees as we've been provided no opportunity to resolve the problem.

I can see you started going through the fault checker back in May, but never completed it.

Please complete the fault checker at https://faults.plus.net so we can get this looked in to for you.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
azztheraz
Grafter

Chris,

I was not the one who discountinued the troubshooting process. If you look back through a colleague of yours offered me a new router to replace the new one I already had. I have been through the troublshooting process up to the point where you determined there was no fault up to the mains line in my house. I was then hesitant to continue after this as you pointed out that there is an engineer charge if they come out to check the line within my house and find no fault (how you justify this is beyond me). I have purchased new adsl cable and followed all protocol to ensure I do not have a long distance from mains socket to router. I have the relevant filters in place. Nothing will improve the abysmal download/ upload speeds you are 'providing'. 

To make matters worse I now understand I must pay a termination fee for your 'services' if I want to leave. Or pay to take you with me to my new property ...

I fail to see how you can aide me in this. This is not acceptable. You can check the records for how many times my interent drops out. If thats not proof of how unreliable of a 'provider' you have been I do not know what is.

To top it off I just began the troubleshooting procedure again from the link you provided. It encountered a problem after the phone line test and asked me to check back again later ... You really couldn't write it ...