Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Billion Bipac 8800 NL VDSL2 Router

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

New Billion Bipac 8800 NL VDSL2 Router

Nice VDSL2 Router as I like it. It connected on his own with inbuilt VDSL2 modem with broadcom chipset BCM 63168 to the huawei dslam cabinet. The errors look bit scary thought after 2 hours!
23 REPLIES 23
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: New Billion Bipac 8800 NL VDSL2 Router

Leave it another two hours and see how much the error count increases.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Does plusnet staff know how many HEC, CRC, ES errors in a 24 hours period before DLM was trigger?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

The stats look pretty bad errors after 4 hours 30 minutes online. Possible faulty modem? Do u think I should go back to openreach modem with less errors!
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Arrrrrgggggggg DLM been hit on my line first time since February activated. Billion 8800NL is worse and very poor overall with too much errors overnight that caused DLM to strike and put my line interleaved. I get rid of Billion. And put back BT Openreach Modem and Netgear Router.
Question is how long do I have to wait for DLM to put me on fast path again and put me back on 79999K.  Angry Cry

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Can Plusnet staff ask engineer to reset DLM at my request?
AndyH
Grafter

Nope, they cannot. You have to wait 9 days (assuming your line remains stable).
This is what happens when you start playing around with equipment that hasn't gone through the Openreach modem bank testing.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

DLM is suck! Going to stick with standard BT Openreach Modem from now on. No more swap around. Lesson is learned.
AndyH
Grafter

DLM is fine - it's the modems that are the issue.
Some modems have very buggy firmware that do not work well with the Openreach network. There's a lot of threads on the Asus forums about the DSL-N66U causing large number of errors on stable lines because of a firmware issue.
Anyone wishing to use a different router/modem should make sure it's gone through the Openreach certification. I think D-Link and Billion (or FRITZ!Box) are the main manufacturers that used the Openreach testing facilities.
PLan
Grafter

Quote from: goldenfibre
Nice VDSL2 Router as I like it. ...

How many routers do you have(asks the guy with too many to mention :D) ?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: AndyH
Anyone wishing to use a different router/modem should make sure it's gone through the Openreach certification. I think D-Link and Billion (or FRITZ!Box) are the main manufacturers that used the Openreach testing facilities.

Is there any published list of manufacturers / models that have passed OR testing / certification / approval?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: AndyH
Nope, they cannot. You have to wait 9 days (assuming your line remains stable).

How do u know it will have to wait for 9 days? What happen if it doesn't happen?
PLan
Grafter

AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: w23
Is there any published list of manufacturers / models that have passed OR testing / certification / approval?

I don't think so - I read it somewhere, just trying to find the link
Quote from: goldenfibre
How do u know it will have to wait for 9 days? What happen if it doesn't happen?

See the link PLan posted.
It depends on the barriers on your line now - best case scenario 8 (9 days for a change), worst case can be 65 days...
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Just to add to this...  I seriously doubt it was the Err/Secs that caused this.  Its still quite low and we see users with far more Err secs that arent affected by the DLM and dont get interleaving applied.
What we do see is users swapping over routers or resyncing too many times in one day causing the DLM to kick in.. sometimes as little as 3.  Ive seen a doc that implied the BToR DLM takes no notice of the dying gasp signal and abandoned this method some time ago.  Instead it uses downtime in 15min periods  to monitor whether it thinks a resync was due to a line fault or the router being switched off overnight by the EU.
We always recommend powering down with the modem cable still in the phone line...  and leave it for at least half an hour before putting another router on.
How many times did you perform a resync yesterday?