cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Asus dsl N55U need help Please.

got2getatan
Grafter

New Asus dsl N55U need help Please.

Hi , after spending time searching reviews and forums I decided to go out and replace my Plusnet router with a ASUS DSL N55U .. Easy to set up they said but I have spent most of the day trying to connect to the internet.  Following the instructions from the enclosed cd it will not accept any of the passwords even admin/admin and keeps telling me that I have no connection between the phone line or the PC but the cables are ok  am using them now via BT Hub2 so is the router faulty. Spoken with Plusnet help but they are baffled and having contacted Asus support they cannot get back to me for another 48 hours. I may not be top of my class for computing that is why I bought something that was good and easy to set up but maybe not. Any advice please.
30 REPLIES 30
AndyH
Grafter

Re: New Asus dsl N55U need help Please.

Hi
Try holding the reset button down on the back of the router (with the power on) and wait 5 secs then release.
Then try connecting to the router again (default should be admin/admin).
buseng12
Grafter

There is a review here, not sure if it helps.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/78-asus-dsl-n55u.html
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Unfortunately Asus tech support is pretty useless. If the factory reset doesn't work then I would return it for a replacement. Alternatively rather than use the installation disc try setting it up via the website 192.168.1.1. I set up my Asus RT-N56U manually & it worked fine.
Good luck.
AndyH
Grafter

I am wondering if the OPs one has been used by someone else before and already has a different password set.
got2getatan
Grafter

Got a reply from Asus support telling me to reset and try again but I have done this many times and manually config the device. I seem to be ok all the way through the set up but the same result  -  not connected to the internet. The 2.4GHz wireless indicator keeps blinking every other steady. If I am doing something stupid then I am doing the same thing every time. The connection  bars on my desk top shows Plusnet excellent but I still cannot connect. Nothing wrong with the PC wireless as using it now.. 
AndyH
Grafter

I'm confused.  Huh
The connection  bars on my desk top shows Plusnet excellent but I still cannot connect.

I thought you were unable to access the router? Can you access the admin page?
got2getatan
Grafter

I have forgot how many times that I have reset the router and started again. Just managed to get connected,  I must have put the wrong SSID Key in or something. The 2.4GHz light is still flashing, is that because its being used?  Just tested my tablet in the next and the signal is good but not great so I wonder if I've wasted £90 and not improved my wifi signal  which is why I purchased the router in the first place after reading all the reviews. Anyway thanks for all the help and if you think you can advise me on improving the signal, great.
AndyH
Grafter

Try upgrading to the latest firmware first - you're probably on an older version of the wireless drivers.
I can get close to 400Mbps on my N66U (25m away).
got2getatan
Grafter

Thanks I will try that, I am just greatful that I can connect at last.
HaresEar
Grafter

Go2getatan can you let me know how you get on with this router as I am also looking for a replacement. 
Cheers.
got2getatan
Grafter

Sorry but I'm back. Tried to upgrade the firmware to maybe improve the signal but I have lost my internet connection again. When everything else has failed I have reset the router and started the installation from scratch only to be presented with the same window  stating that I have not a wired  connection and when I configure manually I get the the asus network display page and it's telling that there is no connection  Checked all the user names/passwords/ssid and security keys - ok.  I have 5 bars on my desk top for Plusnet wiress but no connection. I am looking at everything at the moment and I have one of these new BT master sockets that contain  filters so I have not used the supplied filter but I am assuming that is it works for this BT Hub2 then it should work for this asus router. Good job that I did not chuck my old routers in the bin.
AndyH
Grafter

Are you trying to configure an ADSL or FTTC connection?
If you go to http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp - do you have it set to PPPoA connection?
Can you post what it says in the System Log http://192.168.1.1/Main_LogStatus_Content.asp ?
HaresEar
Grafter

got2getatan
Grafter

Yes it is connected to PPPoA. Because of my lack of computer knowledge I just wanted a router with a GOOD signal and easy to set up and according to the forums/reviews this was the one. Following all the instructions it keeps telling me that there is no internet connection and check the cables to the PC and telephone socket, which are ok. I keeping inputting the Isp detail passwords etc and when I get to the Network summery page it just says no connection.  I have been on this again since 4-30 this morning and even restored my PC to before I got this crap router. Asus support solution is to keep resetting the router. So, there must be someone out there with my lack of knowledge that has had the same problem or have I got a router that just is faulty. Sorry to hit you with this on a Sunday but I am going away soon and my CCTV will be linked to this router having been burgled twice already. Thanks for all your help.