cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ADSL 2+ Router Sought

talkcomp
Grafter

New ADSL 2+ Router Sought

Can anyone suggest an ADSL2+ router that has Wi-fi (N), Port forwarding, firewall (etc) and supports VPN (not just VPN passthrough) so that I can mimic my UK IP address, even when abroad?
14 REPLIES 14
paulby
Grafter

Re: New ADSL 2+ Router Sought

One of these would do all you wanted but they're not cheap!!! Price List
talkcomp
Grafter

Paul, thanks for that.  A friend of mine has one, but he has had issues with the Sync rate not being at the capacity it should be.  There are lots of people on here with Vigor routers that complain of the lower rates of sync speed.
Thanks again.
ashgeo
Grafter

Hi there. I am using the Netgear DGN2000. I'm not sure if it will meet all you requirements but check out http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2334
The one thing I have found useful with the Netgear is you can use the RouterStats software from http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm which allow you to graph the SNR and other elements over time to find out stuff about your line.  I am not yet on ADSL2+ but hopefully will be switched soon as I am currently having problems on DSL MAX which the RouterStats software has enabled me to pass on details to PlusNet which otherwise would not be available.
paulby
Grafter

I have a Vigor router (a 2800 to be precise) and cured the sync rate issue by downloading and installing the "alternative firmware" from Draytek's support site.  
Before moving house recently sync wasn't an issue as I always got the full 8128 as I Iived within spitting distance of the exchange.  Since moving house I am now on a fairly long line (the line checker said it would only give 512k at best).  Initially I could only get the router to sync at about 1200 or so I installed  firmware with modem code E.67.2.55 from here which now allows me to sync at between 2500 and 3000.  The firmware contains different modem code tailored for ADSL Max on long lines.
Edit: Release notes showing alternative firmware for sync issues.
talkcomp
Grafter

Thanks Ashgeo, but it does not support remote VPN.  I am running route stats already and I this is what is leading me to think it maybe the router as the SNR keeps bouncing, only on UpStream, not downstream.
Paul, intersting - I'll let my friend know.  I used t ouse a 2200USB and had a 2600G for work, so I know Draytek quite well but as you say £240.00 for a router - ouch.
paulby
Grafter

@talkcomp - I've edited my last post to include a link to the release notes for the 2800 firmware.  For other Draytek models it's just a case of going to the ftp site linked earlier and navigating the tree to the correct model.  You need to make sure that you only use Annex A firmware though.
TonyOCL
Grafter

As Talkcomp mentioned I have had issues with my 2820, is this the model you have?  My issues are not biggies, it works does the job but I want faster.  When on normal adsl2 I was getting the full 8meg, now that both talkcomp and I are on the 21cn I only get 10-11meg  I had hoped that as I had such good speed before that my line was good and I would get around 20 - greed I know.
I may try the alternative firmware... just wanted to know what model you had in the 2800 series?
Thanks
paulby
Grafter

No, I've got a 2800.  I experimented with a few of the alternative firmwares until I got the best one (which was, coincidentally, the one Draytek recommended for long lines).  You'd probably need to do much the same with the 2820 (remember only to use Annexe A firmware).
I thought about changing router but I need the functionality that the 2800 offers (LAN to LAN VPN etc.) and there's not much else out there that offers what the Draytek's do (at their price point)!
Edit:  From the release notes for the 2820 firmware:
" For best line compatibility you may also try alternative modem codes. Please let us know your results.
Download from : ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware "
TonyOCL
Grafter

Thanks for that ... looks like I have a weekend project.
For talkcomp --- still looks like one Draytek router or another is your best bet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

IIRC the Netgear DG834 is pretty good on ADSL2+ and has support for VPN tunnels ( although I've never used it ) and is pretty cheap.
Then you could just get a separate Wireless access point for your Wifi(N) requirements http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=416

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sadamski
Dabbler

I'm using a Draytek Vigor 2820 with the 3.3.2.1_232201 Annex-A firmware.
I used to get 7.3 - 8Mbps on ADSL MAX but since going ADSL2+ I'm still only getting 7.3 - 8Mbps, although my upload has hit 1Mbps.
The Draytek does seem to sync at a lower speed than other Routers I've tried previously, noticeably my old Netgear DG834GT.
The Wireless on the 2820 is a bit flaky if you use DHCP.
Seems much better if you give your clients static IPs.
As mentioned previously, the Netgear isn't a VPN endpoint, it only supports passthrough.
The Draytek is probably the best you can get for the money in terms of functionality, if you can get over it's little quirks!!
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Sadamski
As mentioned previously, the Netgear isn't a VPN endpoint, it only supports passthrough.

Not true for the DG834 which Netgear claims supports up to 5 IPSEC endpoints. However, I've not tried one in anger so I've no idea what the performance is like.
paulby
Grafter

The DG834 will support 5 LAN to LAN IPSEC VPNs - see here.  However, it doesn't support remote dial in from a laptop etc. using (for example) the PPTP client in Xp or Vista.
The Drayteks support several flavours of VPN and both LAN to LAN and remote teleworker dial-in.
If sync speed is an issue with Draytek's ADSL routers another way to do things is to buy something like the Vigor 2910 (which has an ethernet port for WAN access) and use an ethernet modem (such as this Netgear) or even an existing ADSL router set to "pure bridge" or "fully bridged" mode (in which case it simply acts as a modem).
The login to the ISP is handled by the Draytek whilst the modem or router (in bridge mode) handles the sync with the exchange etc. (see Draytek's own info here - this is written for their own ethernet modem the Vigor 120 but it works just as well for any other.)
zubel
Community Veteran

From personal experience, the DG834G IPSEC lan-to-lan bridging works superbly.
B.