cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 802.11n Router

kwack
Grafter

New 802.11n Router

Quick question as I might be in the market to buy a new one as I do suffer from poor wifi reception in my house with the current thomson 585 v7.
I am looking to purchase an ADSL Router with teh above spec as I want to be able to stream medie from the PC to my Xbox. I looked at homeplugs as an alterbative but they are not compatible with media extender without a regedit
I think I am on ADSL2 but cant remember - i so is there anything specific I need to look out for in terms of purchasing a new router?

Thanks
KWack
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New 802.11n Router

[quote=kwack]I looked at homeplugs as an alterbative but they are not compatible with media extender without a regedit
What does this mean ?
If you can get two devices to communicate using an ethernet cable, then the avEasy homeplugs simply replace the ethernet using the mains wiring.  No software configuration required.
kwack
Grafter

There was an article on FAQ on a homeplugs page somewhere that said that the following;
Apparently Homplug works with IGMP V2  whereas windows extender uses IGMP V3 and woudl require a windows registry edit to resolve
So am not too keen on messing around with windows registry
Any recommendations for an ADSL2 modem 802.11n router?
Kwack
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Buy yourself a BT Home Hub V2.0 (the Curved Black one) off eBay for a tenner.
They work perfectly on a PlusNet line and support ADSL2+ ....  and the Wireless is 802.11n.