Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network problems

FIXED
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Network problems

Are there network problems this morning?

When I got up my router was sinked fine, had gateway 195.166.130.254. Seemed to be able to ping addresses, but *all* web connections from *all* computers would fail. Alas didn't have time to dig deeper - will do when I get home.

5 REPLIES 5
redsox9
Rising Star

Re: Network problems

Been experiencing intermittent dropouts since last night.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

@redsox9 It would help if you posted your problem - with a little more detail - in your own topic. 'Piggy-backing' on someone else's topic, which is probably unrelated anyway, is bad forum etiquette, and causes confusion.

John
redsox9
Rising Star

Don't understand why it would be considered bad forum etiquette and cause confusion. It seemed like a network problem to me because dropouts were occurring even when the quiet line test indicated the line was fine. Dropouts continued even after I rebooted my modem/router several times. The connection looks stable now. 

summers
Aspiring Pro

Fix

OK - think I solved it. It was a local problem with my router, and not a plus.net problem.

What seems to have happened, is the network control on the router went random, after being fine for a year or longer! Specically think the firewall just totally barfed, which is strange as this is integrated into the kernel, so its a really low level process, and well checked. Was't totally dead, established and related packets seemed to work - so if a connection was initiated it stayed working. This meant if a ping passed the first packet - then the ping continued working! But another ping would just totally fail! Anyway few reboots, and kicking the firewall enough times and it started working again.

I'll update the OS on the router when the new version is released (openwrt 21.02 has been branched, but not released yet) - that moves the kernel on a long way, and also IIRC nftables are the default firewall - so hopefully be more stable.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

@summers Good. 👍

John