cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network IP Camera won't connect wirelessly

jonfarmer

Network IP Camera won't connect wirelessly

I am trying to connect a D-Link DCS-932L Wireless Network Camera to my Thomson TG585v8 Router.
Using setup whilst wired the camera works fine, but when I disconnect from the router the camera cannot connect wirelessly.
I have reset the router, reset the camera and tried various permutations with no luck so far.
I did read on a post that someone had a problem with a different Thomson router, but nothing with this one.
Can anyone help?
4 REPLIES 4
GreenGiant
Grafter

Re: Network IP Camera won't connect wirelessly

Hi jonfarmer,
Could have been me possibly but most of my troubles were getting port forwarding to stick in a 585v8. Using a Foscam copy I did roughly this:
Connect first via cable to let the router find the camera and its MAC address etc, don't forget to go into the camera set up options and turn the wifi on [most seem to be off by default] and fill in network and password etc.
I then had to power off the camera, disconnect the cable and power it up again before the router would see it's wifi, also the wifi didn't always allow a good enough signal to connect up a picture/interface when a few walls away! Also they occasionally seemed to loose interest in each other altogether and the camera appeared to doze off on it's own, needing a reboot and negating the whole wifi concept [IP leasing, now there's a thought].
Can't recall if the wifi of the camera had a different MAC address to the wired section, if it has you might need to find it [probably in the camera interface page somewhere] and pre-enter it in the router somehow ready to be found when the camera wifi comes up, or am I wandering into port forwarding now. Running out of ideas now! Afraid I ended up with a long cable as I had to ensure it always worked 100%.
Bob.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

@jon
It is not clear if you are talking about accessing the webcam from your internal network or from the internet?
I assume you have enabled and configured the wireless section of the set-up including the wireless encryption type (WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc) and code? Also have you set it to use a static IP address as using DHCP could mean it gets different IP addresses each time it starts up, making it difficult to find without some detect and find software, and this is certainly a requirement if you want to access the webcam from the internet. Internet access will also need some port-forwarding in the router.
jonfarmer

Thanks for your replies.
I seem to have stumbled onto a solution.
I switched off the Wireless Security and the camera connected, so I then tried different versions of security and lo and behold if the router is switched to just WPA2 (instead of the default of WPA+WPA2) then the camera connects!
Thanks again,
Jonathan
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Others have reported problems with that router and using auto-detection of security settings. Setting the router to a specific security setting and using the same on the wireless devices has fixed it for others as well.