Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear router will not find the dsl signal

diddydo75
Grafter

Netgear router will not find the dsl signal

Hi,
Im posting on behalf of my father. He is currently using the supplied Thompson modem but its wireless performance seems to be very poor and at times he cannot connect at all, when connecting it directly to the computer with the RJ45 it is just fine.
Anyway, he has now purchased a Netgear router but it will not register the dsl signal at all, any ideas? Are there some settings that i need to change?
Any help wouold be greatly received as we really are at a loss as to why the signal cannot be picked up. When we plug the old Thompson in the signal is found almost straight away.
Many thanks
Dale
14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Netgear router will not find the dsl signal

Hi there,
Sorry to hear about the issues you've mentioned. It's odd that the Netgear won't synch when the Thomson router apparently would.
Although the router should really detect this and set it for you you may want to look at the modulation setting. However I would need to check your father's account to know what setting to suggest as that varies depending on whether he has an ADSL1, ADSL2 or ADSL2+ connection.
Let me know what his username is and I'll have a look for you and I'll run some diagnostic checks whilst I'm at it Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
diddydo75
Grafter

Hi Adam,
His username is ashran.
Many thanks
Dale
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem Smiley
I can see that the connection is ADSL2+ which means the modulation should be "G.992.5"
Diagnostics aren't showing me much other than the line being out of sync I'm afraid.
What model of Netgear does he have?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
diddydo75
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Its a DGN1000. I just do not understand why it will not sync?
Many thanks for looking into this.
Dale
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

There's not many ADSL specific settings for Netgear routers, just had another thought though. Do check that multiplexing is set to VC based. That VPI is set to 0 and VCI to 38 too.
Beyond that you might want to consider a factory reset.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
diddydo75
Grafter

Hi Adam,
The router was not working properly. Looks like it was one that was returned to Argos and they just reboxed it and sold it to my dad. New one seems to work just fine.
Many thanks for your help.
Best wishes
Dale
diddydo75
Grafter

Well the router is fine but there is still no internet?
It is slow beyond dial up speeds. My father was having so many problems with his Thompson router that he was turning it on and off all of the time so could this be a reason for having such terrible speeds? The pages just do not load at all.
He is not really Broadband savi so just wants to be able to plug it in and it works.
Adam i see that you said the line was out of sync would this cause a massive drop in speed?
Regards
Dale
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
In the case of a Netgear router, the default IP address is usually 192.168.0.1 User name: admin . Password: password
Click on Router Status then Show Statistics at the bottom of the page.
diddydo75
Grafter

Hi,
I'll do that next time I'm over there but that will be next weekend.
Many thanks
Dale
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: diddydo75
My father was having so many problems with his Thompson router that he was turning it on and off all of the time so could this be a reason for having such terrible speeds?

Yep
The faster a connection is synced at the more prone it is to errors, so when the exchange sees an unstable line that is disconnecting a lot it slows it down to try to make it more stable. Initially this is by raising the target noise margin but if it continues it applies banding which limits the maximum sync speed. If he's been rebooting a lot he's probably on the lowest band which isn't a lot faster than dialup. See http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#bandedProfiles
Tell him he must leave it on 24x7 and not reboot it at all - there's a chance it might then recover. Can you post the number of a ticket from his account. One of the Digital Care team should then be able to identify his account and post the connection graph. If they can see it's been stable since you told him to leave it alone they can reset the line to remove the banding.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Off-topic, but I think we are forgetting quite how slow dial-up internet really was.  In principle you might connect at 56 kbps but I never managed that.  A good line that has been banded due to past adverse circumstances should sync at the top of the bottom band, which is 288 kbps.  I came across such a line the other day (although I did not immediately recognise the problem for what it was).  Knock of a bit of speed for IP profiling and we are still at at least three times the speed of a typical dial-up connection.
Now you have a working router, it's possible the problem will have resolved itself by next weekend.  Just make sure the Plusnet profile has caught-up as that will be the last thing to come right. 
diddydo75
Grafter

Hi Reed
I am hoping that is the case. If not it might take a while to resolve as I travel back and forth over the weekends! Fingers crossed
Regards
Dale
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Looks like the speed is currently at 4200 at the moment, which matches the current BT profile that we're seeing. The current connection has also been going on for over 36 hours too so things are looking hopeful - hope your father is seeing the same thing?
diddydo75
Grafter

Hi,
hmm the phone upstairs was not connected through a splitter once this was done things improved a great deal. The connections seem fine at the moment.
I would like to thank you all for posting in this thread, knowing that there are people out there with good knowledge that they are willing to share is very reassuring.
Many thanks and best wishes, my father is very pleased.
Dale