cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear n600 bridging to TP-Link TL-WR841ND

LuthersBoots
Grafter

Netgear n600 bridging to TP-Link TL-WR841ND

HI all. My Father has a large country house and is on Plusnet. He just upgraded his Router to the Netgear n600 WNDR3700 and he is happy with it's N speed and stability.
he just bought a smart TV for his kitchen and going through stone walls e.t.c the signal just doesn't reach down there.
I am going to run an ethernet cable through the roof to a wireless access point near the kitchen so he can get internet on the TV and have wifi though the home.
I bought a TL-WR841ND router to fit this purpose as it was a cheap N router with N speed and capabilities e.t.c
Before I go there and get bogged down in all sorts of problems...can someone give me the basics:
What port should I plug the cable into the TP Link? It is a cable modem so it's input is an ethernet slot. ( I have a similar setup at hmy home with a thomson and a net gear both plugged into the standard 4 port ethernet section.
What special settings do i need to use (IP address same or differ? DHCP e.t.c) as I've forgotten all mine since I did it!
Has anyone had success right out of the box with this sort of setup or did they have to ref lash e.t.c
I look forward to the tips.
D
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: Netgear n600 bridging to TP-Link TL-WR841ND

To just use the TPLink as a Wireless Access point:-
What port should I plug the cable into the TP Link?

Plug it into one of the 4 LAN ports.
What special settings do i need to use (IP address same or differ? DHCP e.t.c) as I've forgotten all mine since I did it!

DIsable DHCP ( on the TPLINK ).
To enable the TPLink web configurator to be accessed, set its LAN IP address to a static IP in the same subnet as the Netgear WNDR3700, but outside the Netgears DHCP range.
Set the TPLink's wireless to a different channel and SSID to the Netgear.
In this configuration the TPLINK is effectively acting as just a Wireless Access point and switch. All your connected wireless clients will be allocated IP addresses by the NetGear, as will anything connected to any of the other 3 LAN ports.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LuthersBoots
Grafter

Sounds like what I am after...just need it to act as an access point really.
Just need the following clarified if you may:
set its LAN IP address to a static IP in the same subnet as the Netgear WNDR3700, but outside the Netgears DHCP range
What is the subnet and how do I make sure the IP address is in it?
What is the DHCP and how do I make sure it's out of it?
Regards,
LB
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Ok, the WNDR3700 has a default LAN IP of 192.168.1.1and a DHCP range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 so in thsi case the subnet is 192.168.1.x.
On the LAN Setup page I suggest you set the Ending DHCP address to 192.168.1.199 and allocate the TP link a LAN IP of 192.168.1.200
You should then be able to contact the TP link to configure it using http://192.168.1.200
This all assumes you've not changed the Netgear from the defaults.
Hope that makes sense

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LuthersBoots
Grafter

Cool. thats the one. I'll give it  abash when the router arrives. Selected Free Shipping from Amazon and they are still yet to ship...ordered on Tuesday.
I guess they try to make you upgrade to get a bit of cash...should arrive by next Tuesday so with me luck!
Cheers.
LB