cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear WNR 1000v3 updates to firmware?

Walter
Rising Star

Netgear WNR 1000v3 updates to firmware?

Just installled the new FttC router and noticed the firmware has been updated from 1.0.2.30 to1.0.2.42
Wondered if anyone has undertaken this upgrade and any comments on the necessity?
Otherwise after a PN bungled appointment, the Openreach service was eventually professionally executed, accommodating my requirements and providing a full speed connection.
15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Netgear WNR 1000v3 updates to firmware?

Have you checked the fibre trials forum Walter? I've just had a quick look, can't see anything at first glance but you may find and answer there.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mxs
Grafter

Update notes copied from here
WNR1000v3 Firmware Version 1.0.2.42
New Features:
    Schedule-based Wi-Fi on/off.
    Port forwarding mapping.
    24-hour disc/conn.
    L2TP.
    IGMP proxying & multicast.
    IPv6.
    Desktop Genie support.
    CD-less Wizard.
    New GUI w/ Turkish language support.
    Preset wifi security.
A few people here are reporting problems with wireless stability after applying the patch so if you connect wirelessly I would perhaps hold off on updating for now.
New UI looks ok, not entirely sure the ipv6 support is working properly yet and unless you specifically need one of the other feature updates I doubt you will see any benefit upgrading right away. Smiley
martynsingleton
Grafter

i run the same router, and have tonight checked for updates, but it says there none available, my fw is also 1.0.2.30
adagio
Grafter

FW version V1.0.2.30_53.0.66B1 "No upgrade available"
mxs
Grafter

My router found the upgrade and installed it fine from the upgrade page a few days ago - perhaps it has been pulled for now because of the reported issues.    It still seems to be available for manual upgrade via the link in my previous post if anyone wants it though.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Well I got the following message when I started to upload manually:
Warning! You are trying to download the firmware which the region is different from the current firmware you had.
Do you still want to continue? 
Current Firmware Version V1.0.2.30_53.0.66B1
Uploaded Version V1.0.2.42_55.0.77

So I went for Cancel.
I'm not sure exactly what "port forwarding mapping" means though, as opposed to just "port forwarding" (which I do use).  My previous NetGear router combined port forwarding with the firewall, so I could forward ports only for certain external IP addresses, and reject the rest.  The WNR1000v3 is much simpler and just forwards all traffic regardless, which means I have to rely on each PC's individual firewall to block unwanted traffic.  Which is a shame.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
Walter
Rising Star

Thanks for those helpful replies.
Sorry for the delay in coming back but I am not getting email notifications although I tick the box.
I suspect the message '"No upgrade available" is not the result of looking on the Netgear website but looking for the downloaded file on your computer. This fibre is so fast you can't tell if it's been up to the site searched and returned in a flash. ( which would explain that the upgrade is not intended for Europe region).)
I feel that  ver 1.0.2.42 has not been adopted by this group and may not be appropriate for Europe. ipv6 is not an immediate requirement just yet.  So maybe I will wait a while.
I will try the ' fibre trials forum' Adam and see if there is anything raised there.
mxs
Grafter

Quote from: lorisarvendu
Warning! You are trying to download the firmware which the region is different from the current firmware you had.

On the download page there are 2 links - first is for North America only and the second is the world wide version - did you definitely grab the 2nd one (filename should be WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.42_55.0.77.chk rather than WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.42_55.0.77NA.chk which is the North American version)?
All my upgrades were via the router page so I have not tried a manual upload to know if it would give that message also - if you have the correct file I guess it is possible some models have a EU/UK specific version of the firmware though.

Quote from: Walter
I suspect the message '"No upgrade available" is not the result of looking on the Netgear website but looking for the downloaded file on your computer. This fibre is so fast you can't tell if it's been up to the site searched and returned in a flash. ( which would explain that the upgrade is not intended for Europe region).)

When the router checks for updates (in my case at least) it will grab the following file:
ftp://updates1.netgear.com/wnr1000v3/ww/fileinfo.txt
Which contains information about the latest firmware, checksums and download locations - the router will grab that and compare the version to its current firmware to determine if there is an upgrade.
It is possible you are somehow hitting an older cached version when your router checks for the update - if you enter the url in your web browser which file is listed at the top?
If not "file=WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.42.chk" then try doing a force reload (ctrl + r usually) on the page and see if it changes - if it does then check the router page again to see if it now sees the update.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
We've had 2 versions of the Netgear WNR1000 and depending on which version you have will depend on whether the firmware will be able to be installed (or show as available). The main difference between the 2 versions that you can easily see is that one of the routers supports our easy setup option, these routers won't yet be able to use the new firmware. The ones that don't (which will mainly be people that had them when FTTC was on trial) will support the new firmware.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Thanks Dave, that explains why my router won't accept the firmware.  Since I've only been on fibre for a couple of months I've obviously got one of your "modified" ones.  Doesn't look like much in there I'd want anyway.  It's mainly wireless enhancements and I don't use the wireless, mainly because the router's behind a big thick wall.  I use a Homeplug Wireless Extender instead.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
reddev87
Grafter

Quote from: dave
Hi,
We've had 2 versions of the Netgear WNR1000 and depending on which version you have will depend on whether the firmware will be able to be installed (or show as available). The main difference between the 2 versions that you can easily see is that one of the routers supports our easy setup option, these routers won't yet be able to use the new firmware. The ones that don't (which will mainly be people that had them when FTTC was on trial) will support the new firmware.

Not true, both versions of the v3 router will accept the new firmware fine. Though you are correct that only one of them will show the firmware as available. However the other one will still accept the firmware, and works fine with it, if you download the file from the netgear site, and ignore the "different region" message.
Quote from: lorisarvendu
Current Firmware Version V1.0.2.30_53.0.66B1
Uploaded Version V1.0.2.42_55.0.77

So I went for Cancel.

As I've said, don't worry about the "different region" message, as long as you have chosen the worldwide version from the netgear site, and not north american. I got the same message and it's nothing to worry about. I installed the firmware anyway. The router *will* take the firmware fine.
The two versions of WNR1000v3 that PN have had are essentially identical internally, so your version will accept the firmware fine if you ignore that message.
I can also confirm that it works perfectly afterwards. There are a couple of improvements I found useful. The GUI looks much nicer, and IPv6 support has been added.
However, if you don't need any of the new features, why fix it if it's not broken? Tongue
The_10th
Grafter

Tried the WNR1000v3 to v1.0.2.42 and experienced frequent wireless problems. Refreshing attatched devices brings up script error and some unknown IP addresses (class A). Reverted back to v1.0.2.26. GUI does look nice but functionality more important..
The thing since reverting back is the RHS help menu not looking the same as before; just black text and cramped display. Anyone else had this?
Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

V1.0.2.42_55.0.77 works fine here from a V3 router that was only installed 2 weeks ago so unless PN had really old stock I'd say it was one of the later versions.
Can't see much difference in day to day use TBH, GUI is more intuitive I guess but that's maybe a personal thing.
Gerry.
david12344321
Dabbler

dont like posting on too many sub forums, but im in a bind with a wnr1000v3
i was having problems getting 150mbps (it would stick on 65mbps) on the wnr1000v3 on plusnet fttc.
i downgraded the firmware to WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.18_47.0.52.chk from the plusnet firmware. but it made no difference
But I now cant get back to the latest WNR1000v3-V1.0.2.28_52.0.60.chk firmware.
the router keeps saying 'firmware upgrade failed. please check your file'
i have tried :-
pressing reset button for 30 secs
pressing reset button then powering unit up and holding for 30 secs
every firmware available for the v3
using firefox with java disabled.
pressing wifi and wps together with unit powerd off, powering on and powerded on.
The auto check detects the new updated file on netgear website but produces an -1 unknown error
downloading firmware file by other means.
i also used a direct ethernet cable to router.
could someone post a link to new or older plusnet firmware please, the netgear link is down, maybe for the ipv6 problems reason
or could give me a clue how to get the router to accept new firmware
I might just buy a decent router off ebay and have less hassle lol
cheers