Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear N300 router help please

mkc66
Grafter

Netgear N300 router help please

Hi
just got a netgear N300 to replace my BT 2110 router cant plug in till later as unable to reach socket but ion the BT router there is a number SSID (is that right) that i put in on my iphone laptop etc to access the wireless network which is just called voyager 2110 by default as i only use wireless,
on the new router there is no sticker on the bottom or in the box with this info so how do i connect wirelessly
thanks in advance for any help
16 REPLIES 16
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Netgear N300 router help please

Unless things have changed recently Netgear routers have SSID NETGEAR and, by default, no wireless security.  So it's up to you to change the settings and set your own password.  Make a wired connection between your router and your computer.  Enter the router IP address, 192.168.0.1 in the address bar of your web browser, then enter the router login username and password, which are admin and password.  Then go to Wireless Settings, set security type (WPA2 recommended) and pick your own wireless key.
mkc66
Grafter

oh i see so if i dont do that anyone could access my wireless network???
do i have to connect the cable or can i do it wireless and configure a password? and if i cant then after  can i then just discard the wired connection as we are all on laptops here my home computer is now gathering dust in the spare room
Epyon
Grafter

Connect to either wired or wireless
then
Username - admin
Password - password
change wireless settings.
mkc66
Grafter

looking online  there is a choice of
WEP
WPA-PSK
WPA2-PSK (AES)
WPA-PSK (TKIP)  + WPA2-PSK (AES)

that really means nothing to me all i know is my voyager is WEP which one should i use??? please
thank you again for your help it is gratefully received
Epyon
Grafter

WPA2-PSK (AES)
probably the most secure and compatible
its the mode i use.
mkc66
Grafter

Thank you very much ReedRichards and Epyon not so worried about unplugging my old voyager now  it does have a cd with it but to be honest dont think i used the cd on the voyager just went to the voyager homepage after plugging it in and  that was it done
maybe by the sounds of it i dont need to use the cd this time
Epyon
Grafter

Once you get to grasp with the browser interface you'll probably never need to use the cd again.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Michelle,
The best thing to do with the DGN2200 is to use the disc that came with it, it's an easy set up and sets up your wireless security as well as detecting your internet connection.
Jojo Smiley
mkc66
Grafter

thanks I'll use the cd to set up then Smiley
Jojo I'll post back on my original thread in a couple of days for an update on the graph especially as i may not have found where the router shows how long i have been connected lol
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

OK keep me informed Smiley
mkc66
Grafter

thanks for all the help earlier had to set up manually as the wizard couldnt do it,
oh and does anyone know where on a Netgear N300 i see how long i have been connected as i cannot find it anywhere.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

According to the User Manual page 59
Click the Show Statistics button on the Router Status screen

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mkc66
Grafter

thank you been looking for the last 40 minutes lol
oddly it worked once and now when i click nothing tried reloading browser strange and annoying
mkc66
Grafter

does anyone know where  to find  noise margin, speed and attenuation (upstream and downstream).  on my netgear i would like to compare it to my old voyager stats but looked and cannot find it