Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear N150 ADSL2+ Moden Router

nibbles
Dabbler

Netgear N150 ADSL2+ Moden Router

Hi
I've recently downgraded from FO to ADSL .  I've bought a Netgear N150 ADSL2+ Moden Router so that I'm only using 1 plug socket instead of 2. However for some reason while the BT Open Reach moden still works and connects to the internet the netgear one just sits there trying to connect to the next.    I'm wondering if anybody knows what the settings for the moden shoud be? 
I'm running the setup wizard (via the moden logon) and its telling me that the internet connect is a Static IP Address  and is then asking for
IP Address
Ip Subnet Mask
Gateway Ip Address
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS. 
I'm guessing (but could be wrong) that the Primary and secondary DNS's are the ones in the conncetion settings for other manual connection.  However I don't know what the Ip Address, Ip Subnet and Gateway IP Address are.   
Once working I will be connecting to the modem/router via wi-fi.
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
pj2014
Grafter

Re: Netgear N150 ADSL2+ Moden Router

Hi,
I recently acquired this Netgear N150 ADSL2+ router too (before I upgraded to the Netgear DGN3500)
If its not been reset, I'd reset it first (make a note of all your settings within setup just incase!)
I just used the settings from plusnet's support page https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml
Broadband Username/Login name      username@plusdsl.net
Connection Type / Encapsulation        PPPoA /PPP over ATM
Password The password you use to log in to this website
Virtual Path Identifier (VPI)                  0
Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI)            38
Multiplexing method                            VC Based / VCMUX / VC-Multiplexing
everything else I just left as it was
IP address dynamic, dns - obtain automatically etc etc  (I found after the reset all of these values were pretty much configured as they should be, apart from the main ones I've listed above) (automatically obtain from ISP was a common response)
PJ
nibbles
Dabbler

Hi PJ,
Thanks for that.  A couple of questions though where do you set
Connection Type / Encapsulation        PPPoA /PPP over ATM
Password The password you use to log in to this website
Virtual Path Identifier (VPI)                  0
Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI)            38
Multiplexing method                            VC Based / VCMUX / VC-Multiplexing
as the only options I've got in basic settings are
Internet Ip Address (Get Automatically from ISP) - fine
Domain Name Server (DNS) Address - Get Automatically from ISP
Router MAC - use default - which I assume is fine.
I've got connection mode - Awways on  and Idle time which is set o 0.
I can't find any of the other settings.  The router is using WNR1000v3  firmware. 
Thanks
john
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The WNR1000 isn't a combined modem + router, it doesn't contain an ADSL modem, so it won't work if you try to connect it to a telephone line for ADSL.
If you used a Plusnet 582n before, you could install the ADSL firmware on that, or install the 10.2.5 firmware on it and re-configure it for ADSL.
nibbles
Dabbler

Hi ejs
its definantly a moden router Netgear N150 Wireless AS2+ Modem Router as there is RJ11 socket to the phone on it.  I just can't find the details you said to configure it.  The WNR1000 is the info at the top regarding to the firmware I was reading.  
John
pj2014
Grafter

H Nibbles,
Ah, I just checked my setup. All those options are under basic settings (in setup)  I have attached a screen shot.
But it seems although we have N150's the models are slightly different.  I have a DGN1000 and it appears you have WNR1000 V3 (from your previous post)
The setup for most netgears is the same
hope that helps!
PJ
pj2014
Grafter

Ok, I just googled it...
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNR1000V3/WNR1000v3_SM_24SEPT2010.pdf
(for the link above, Pg 18 manually installing your router)
seems to be
- setup wizard
- No I want to configure the router myself
- This will take you to the basic settings page  (similar to the screen shot I attached earlier)
Here is where you would enter all those previous details I listed.  Its not over after that as you will have to configure + secure your wireless network too.
I'm not too familiar with fibre/its connectivity but Also regarding your opening post,  I'm a bit puzzled that your BT openreach modem (fibre?) still connects to the internet if you have downgraded fibre>ADSL2+
hope that helps
cheers
PJ
edit: hang on, I think ejs might be onto something here. I cant find any references for WRN1000v3 with respect to adsl2+
Is it deffo an rj11 you see and not a wan port? Normally on these netgear boxes you have writing in blue or red indicating 'For cable connections' or 'For BT connections'
nibbles
Dabbler

I shall hang my head in shame now.  I still had the other netgear router on and it was connecting to that for some reason.    Embarrassed
I've now connecting to the correct router (doh) but it still not connecting even though I'm entering in the username/password.  I've not had to update anything else on it.    I was sceptical when the BT OpenReach moden is connecting to the net even though it suppose to be Fibre so I might have to e-mail / ring plusnet and ask them for information.
Thanks for your info.
Nibbles.
pj2014
Grafter

Hi,
Yeah, not to sure whats going on here. Like I said I'm not too familiar with fibre technologies but I would have thought once a downgrade from fibre > ADSL2+ has taken place the BT Openreach (fibre) modem should not be authenticating/connecting.  (I may be wrong!)
If all else fails, get in touch with support. At least the fibre/ADSL2+ query can be sorted.
Regarding your WNR1000v3, maybe if you get no joy remove any username/passwords then take a screen grab or three showing some configuration pages. We can have a better look. Maybe even a picture of the back of the unit (ports) as all the online literature points towards it being a cable modem (4 LAN PORTS + 1 WAN) not equipped with RJ11.
But like I said, I'm probably wrong as Netgear have so many variations in their kit. My (second hand) N150 DGN1000 is Netgear, but locked to virgin media (for use /standard ADSL via BT copper cable) through firmware! Who knew!! So I'm no expert!  Grin
PJ
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I was sceptical when the BT OpenReach moden is connecting to the net even though it suppose to be Fibre so I might have to e-mail / ring plusnet and ask them for information.
It wouldn't surprise me if the modem still connects. AFAIK it's ADSL/VDSL capable so it's very possible that it will detect the connection and automatically switch to ADSL. Hopefully someone from PN will confirm that...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi Nibbles,
There are two types of Netgear N150 - the WNR1000 which is a wireles cable router and the DGN1000 which is an ADSL 2+ modem/router. Just to confuse matters there is also an N150 Wireless access point (WN604)
As you have downgraded from Fibre Optic to ADSL make sure that the N150 model you have is the DGN1000.
Regards,
Brian
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
nibbles
Dabbler

Hi Brian,
thanks it is the DGN1000 as I said I supidly left the  WNR1000 on while connecting to the DGN1000 and for some reason I was connecting to the WNR1000 rather than the DGN1000 for some reason.  However its still not working so I'm going to have give support a call I think and ask them.  It is strange that the BT Open Reach modem is still working those after I've downgraded from Fibre to ADSL2.
Nibbles
pj2014
Grafter

Ok,now we know your definately using the same router DGN1000... do a reset so everything is back to factory settings
once your logged into the router
setup - basic settings
does internet require login (yes)
encapsulation PPPoA
login + password (your usual plusnet user/passwd)
internet IP address (get dynamically from isp)
DNS address (get dynamically from ISP)
NAT (enable)
hit apply
next headings tab is ADSL settings
multiplex VC based
VPI 0
VCI 38
DSL mode ADSL2+  or leave as auto if unsure
again hit apply
Advanced - WAN setup
follow screen grap
hit apply
Dynamic DNS (all should be empty)
Lan setup follow screen grab (hit apply)
Under Upnp make sure its ticked. Hit Apply. Logout. Maybe power it down and restart it (all the settings we changed will be saved so not to worry)
Thats it really. Those are the exact settings I connected with last week on ADSL2+ with this DGN1000 router
What did support say? They can check if your router has attempted to contact them (server) and if its a user/passwd error etc.
I've attached screen grabs of my own DGN1000 and the general settings I used last week. Hope that helps!
PJ