cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear Genie

adagio
Grafter

Netgear Genie

I was supplied with N150 WNR1000 V3 when I transferred to FTTC. I would like to use the Airprint facility which Netgear Genie claims to provide. However, the latter will not successfully login to the router "Login failed. The router response timed out." The router is on the Netgear list of those supported.
Questions:
1. Have Plusnet installed their own firmware? The version is V1.0.2.30_53.0.66B1. Latest on Netgear support is 1.0.2.54 yet when checking for upgrades am told none available.
2. Could I install 1.0.2.54 without causing myself grief?
3. Would it be worth the effort anyway?
14 REPLIES 14
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Netgear Genie

Apart from checking that you are using the right log in credentials for the Router ie not your Broadband login and password Wink  Have your tried a factory reset of the Router?
I'm not familiar with the Router myself, but if the firmware is the correct firmware for the model, then I don't see a problem, with the usual precautions regarding firmware updates of course. But you may want to wait some further advice from someone using that model.
adagio
Grafter

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I was using the same credentials as those for the browser interface http://192.168.1.254/ which works fine. Why I wonder whether Plusnet have installed their own firmware is that the version number format looks dissimilar  to those listed on the Netgear site. In particular the suffix "_53.0.66B1". In addition there are clearly later versions which the router does not appear to recognize.
Anotherone
Champion

It's highly probable that the firmware was Plusnet customised with TR-069 if nothing else, there must be several users round here using this router.
When you say there are later versions that the router does not appear to recognise, is that you tried to see if it will update to some of them and it just doesn't want to know?
In the absence of anything concrete coming up before tomorrow, one of the DCT could probably get one of Plusnet's experts (maybe Matt Turner) to pop on the thread.
If you edit your first post you can edit the title and perhaps add N150 WNR1000 V3 to it which might attract some users of it.
Ha, and whilst I was writing this I was doing a bit of a search and came up with a thread you posted in ages ago  Wink
See this post onwards. I haven't read it all but there maybe something there that helps including a link to Netgear forums.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i have this router & have no problems  Cool just updated firmware from http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/other/
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anotherone
Champion

Well done rongtw.
When I tried the page just now, I had to go through  using the Product Drilldown button
Select Product Category> Routers, Modems & Gateways  - Select Product Family> Wireless Routers & Gateway Modem - Select Product> WNR1000v3
Putting in the model number in the top box didn't seem to help!
I also found http://support.netgear.com/product/WNR1000v3 which has some handy links - How do I upgrade my router firmware (automatically)? is the first one  Smiley
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I also found http://support.netgear.com/product/WNR1000v3 which has some handy links - How do I upgrade my router firmware (automatically)? is the first one  Smiley

Sorry if I did not make myself clear in the first post. If I log into router, select Router Upgrade and click on Check I get the message "No new firmware version available." A few years ago I had a DG834 which I had bought myself and successfully upgraded 2 or 3 times.
If I manually download the latest firmware and install it from disk do I risk screwing up?
PS Just looked at release notes for latest firmware - pertinent to my original question:-
WNR1000v3 Firmware Version 1.0.2.60
Versions Included:
Firmware release version: V1.0.2.60NA and V1.0.2.60WW
New Features and Enhancements:
    Added support for Desktop Genie and Mobile Genie App.
    Added HT20/HT40 coexistence option for 2.4GHz band.
    Added scheduled Wi-Fi on/off feature.
    Added IGMP/IPTV support.
    Added support for Gateway IP on different subnet.
    Added L2TP support.
    Address several potential security issues, including the fix of WPS PIN security issue.
    Fixed the memory leakage issue caused by accessing to the Web GUI.
Anotherone
Champion

I'd guess it was spitting 'no new versions' because you have a customised one and there isn't an updated customised.
If you download Firmware Version 1.0.2.60 (All regions except North America) and browse to it on your hard disk, you'll be able to install it just as rongtw has done. It looks as though it may sort one of your problems.
adagio
Grafter

I will try and pluck up the courage tomorrow  Embarrassed
adagio
Grafter

I did not take he plunge yesterday as was awaiting confirmation from rongtw as to precisely which firmware he had installed. My thanks to him.
Have done so now. Slightly alarmed at first that some of the admin screen were completely blank afterwards and no Router Status popup. Internet connectivity seemed ok. However, after logout and re-login to router was confronted by a rather fine new interface  Smiley All seems well will try Netgear Genie Airprint later when the excitement has cooled somewhat  Cheesy
Thanks to all for advice. If you have this router I recommend this upgrade.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

adagio , glad i was a help  Wink
@  Anotherone  yes that was weird as i saved the page i DL it from  , but at least he managed to find the DL  Smiley
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have the North America version and it works perfectly on my FTTC connection until I moved house
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
adagio
Grafter

Installed Netgear Genie again - works a treat. The Airprint facility allows me to print from my iPad to my 12 year old HP Deskjet 970Cxi from PC running Windows XP. which is really good  Smiley
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: rongtw
@  Anotherone  yes that was weird as i saved the page i DL it from  , but at least he managed to find the DL  Smiley

I think a bit of Javascript at work here.
Anotherone
Champion

More than likely. Well I'm glad the download and upgrade went OK, and that you've got Genie working as well Smiley