Anyone else experienced similar
(ps off to buy a new one now)
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Netgear DG834GT

I've had a similar issue with a DG834GT myself, although that was just limited to problems with over heating and the ethernet ports dying. After a week or so of this it stopped powering up, it was in warranty and they sorted a replacement for me pretty quickly so I'd speak to Netgear.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bakerbloke
Dabbler

Have had two of these in the past and each time it was the wireless that burnt out but wired ethernet was fine. I have been through a lot of routers from different manufacturers (Probably 5 in the last 4 years) but my best buy has been a netgear non-wireless broadband router (for some strange reason seems to give me consistently high connection speeds).  As I need wireless for one of my PCs, I have connected to it an Apple Airport Express Station (originally bought when the netgear lost its wireless) and this is the best setup I've ever experienced. You don't need to have apple computers to connect to the Airport Express.  My idea is that I'll keep buying cheaper but better quality non-wireless routers and always hook them up to the Airport Express. Details on what the Airport can do can be found in the link below.
Note that since I've gone done the router + express bas station route I've never once had to contact Plusnet support.
http://silenceisdefeat.com/~rwightman/PVRprojects/Blog/Entries/2010/4/26_Airport_Express_Base_Statio...
artificer
Grafter

my similar model has been going strong these last five years.  like any heat-generating bit of kit, it needs a decent air flow to keep it's temperature within safe bounds.  to aid in air flow, i stick it up on a couple of strips of wood of about 10 mm x 10 mm,one at each end and site it where it's not too close to other heat-generating kit.