Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DG834G Clogged up?

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Netgear DG834G Clogged up?

I bought a DG834G v 3 when I was having problems with disconnect to make sure it was not a router problem. However, after running the DG834G for 24 hours or so my download speed (Not sync speed) starts to drop untill it gets to a crawl. I then have to do a power down to regain the normal speed for another 24 hours. I have the latest firmware installed and Netgear tech service is useless. Anyone have any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Re: Netgear DG834G Clogged up?

I used to have that router but afaik routers can't and don't get clogged up, your problem likely lies elsewhere alas I don't know enough about broadband tech to say anymore!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you have your PC(s) using the router as DNS servers (what you will get if you have it set on automatic), try pointing your PCs directly at the PN DNS servers.
Have you checked if it is on the latest firmware?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stallan
Grafter

Is this firmware Netgear or DGteam ?  I had a similiar problem and it was duff firmware - reflashed and has been fine since.
badwolf
Grafter

Not sure abour the v3 but did you do a complete reset when you did the firmware? (ie hold the reset button in etc..)
I know on the V1 and V2's you can enable debug mode and telnet into its shell - can you do the same on the V3? If so would be worth seeing how much available memory it's reporting over a period of time.
Grafter

I've had a problem with a Belkin F5D7633 in tha past. The symptoms were that following an increase of BT and PN profile speeds download speed test would only give results that were similar to those before the profile (and sync) speed increase. A router restart imeadiately upped the results of download speed tests to what would be expected. Doesn't always happen, but has occured mor that once. Almost seemed that the router was 'clogged' or there is some hidden setting that I have yet to find.
Tracer
Grafter

I have simlur model router and i found out that if you use a P2P program the router locks up with all the connection requests.
You have to lower the number of max connections in your P2P program (50 or so normaly does it)
General useage i've had no problems at all so if your using  P2P thats your problem.
Also turning off Logs is said to help (Thats logging on your firewall Rules)
Another thing is Port Forwarding, make sure you don't make the mistake of putting IP addresses in the WAN and LAN users. These should be set to ANY otherwise your Router will try blocking IP and lockup (Single Address line means only incoming IP's can connect).
Check MTU size, 1500 works for me.
Thats all i can think of.
My Router is on all the time and its rare i have to reboot it.