cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear ADSL2+ Modem rebooting often

fletchjp
Dabbler

Netgear ADSL2+ Modem rebooting often

I have been using PlusNet for some time, using an old eTEC ADSL Modem.  Lately that has been crashing several times a day, requiring a restart.  I have bought and installed today a NetGear ADSL2+ Modem (DM111P).  Having got it configured, I find that the previous problem has changed.  I have the modem connected to a Belkin N Wireless router which has status lights for the ADSL connection.  From time to time it drops the modem and restarts the link, interuppting access.  We have tried to isolate the cause between wireless and wired traffic on the internal network but cannot diagnose a cause.
Do I need to reset something in the configuration?
Thanks
John
20 REPLIES 20
grudkin
Grafter

Re: Netgear ADSL2+ Modem rebooting often

Hi fletchjp,
Can you get your line stats from the NETGEAR modem and post them here?  then someone will be along to give some advice.
fletchjp
Dabbler

How do I do that?
fletchjp
Dabbler

ADSL Line Status

Refresh
Line Mode ADSL A Line State UP
Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 04:12:20
Line Coding Disable Line Up Count 1
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 7616 kbps 448 kbps
Attainable Line Rate 9344 kbps 1072 kbps
Noise Margin 11.7 dB 22.0 dB
Line Attenuation 22.5 dB 13.0 dB
Output Power 19.8 dB 11.9 dB
Is this it?
John
fletchjp
Dabbler

ADSL Line Status

Refresh
Line Mode ADSL A Line State UP
Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 04:14:45
Line Coding Disable Line Up Count 1
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 7616 kbps 448 kbps
Attainable Line Rate 9344 kbps 1072 kbps
Noise Margin 11.8 dB 22.0 dB
Line Attenuation 22.5 dB 13.0 dB
Output Power 19.8 dB 11.9 dB
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 239 15
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 0 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 0.9373 7.0588
D (interleave depth) 16 2
Super Frame Errors 5 5
RS Correctable Errors 0 3
RS Uncorrectable Errors 1 0
HEC Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
Total Cells 16147985 274614004
Data Cells 0 5537474
Total ES 1 1
Total SES 0 1
Total UAS 27 20

The same with more information
John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Is there a connection status that shows how long the ADSL link and the Ethernet link have been active?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
fletchjp
Dabbler

Modem Status

System Up Time 04:19:27
Connect to Internet

Your ADSL modem is connected to the Internet.

Connection Status Refresh
Internet connection: 0/38  PPPoA Bridging 
Online time: 4hours 16mins 38secs

I did a recent reboot on the router in case that would help.  The problem does seem diminished, i.e. lights on router do not flash as often.
John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Next time it seems to have dropped check that online time and see if it has changed to be 0 hours, that should help identify where the issue is.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
itsme
Grafter

I assume that you are running the Netgear in PPPoA bridging and the Belkin in Dynamic. If so I believe the Netgear lease time is 5 minutes.This is the the maximum lease time that I see on my Linksys Router which I have connected to a DM111. I then see the lease renewing when the time get down to 2 minutes. What I don't know is which is controlling this lease time.
The other option you got is to place the modem into RFC2684 bridging with LLC-Based (if you select VC-based it will not work) In this bridging mode the DHCP server is by default switched off. So if you leave it this way you will not be able to access the modem unless you do a hard reset. When the modem is running in the the RFC2684 mode the Belkin then has to setup frp PPPoE where you will enter the Username and password. Making sure that you have not select a time to disconnect when idle.
If you have left the DHCP server off then the external IP and gateway IP will be passed to the router.
fletchjp
Dabbler

It has just dropped on the router and that has not reset the times, which remain above 4 hours.
I am connected with PPPoA bridging and the router is set to dynamic.
The disconnect time for PPP is set to 0 which implies no disconnection from the advice given on that screen.
John
fletchjp
Dabbler

I have an option on the modem of VC BASED or LLC BASED multiplexing method.  At the moment it is set to VC BASED.  Is that correct?
John
itsme
Grafter

I would try the modem in the RFC2684 mode with the DHCP off. Then the modem is only syncing with the exchange and passing all traffic to the modem so there should be no leasing between the 2 devices.
The above is the  mode that I normally run but currently gone back to PPPoA so that when I'm upgaded to WBC I can see the stats from the modem.
VC-Based is the setting if you run in the PPPoA but if you use RFC2684 then it's LLC-Based
Be3G
Grafter

A couple of things which may or may not be helpful:

• The DM111P actually reports three different times for different things. There's 'Online Time' on the modem's homepage, which is the duration of the PPP connection to Plusnet. Over in 'ADSL Line Status' there is then a 'Line Up Time', which is the length of time the modem has maintained sync with the exchange. Finally, under 'Modem Status' there is 'System Up Time', which is how long the thing's been turned on.

• Using the DM111P in PPPoA bridging mode as I do does pass your external IP to the router, but not the gateway IP.

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
Using the DM111P in PPPoA bridging mode as I do does pass your external IP to the router, but not the gateway IP.

Correct, and this confused some of the forum Bright Sparks in a thread last year as they said it should not happen. If you run it in the RFC2684 mode with the DCHP off then the external gateway IP is past acrossed.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm reading and learning!