cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net drop

James
Grafter

Re: Net drop

Did you see if you were connected to the Internet after you had reconnected the filter?
It really sounds like your router has 'issues' reconnecting after a connection drop, so it's probably not so much of a surprise that it didn't reconnect.
Kazbah
Grafter

No, I went straight out. Do you think it could be a router or filter problem then?
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

I reckon the best thing for you to do is to try the other router and a new filter. If that doesn't alter things then at least you can be reasonably sure it's neither of those.
Kazbah
Grafter

Hmm, the joys huh. Best get saving  Undecided
James
Grafter

It's Christmas soon Smiley
Check your tickets.
Kazbah
Grafter

Thank you Jameseh, we'll see how we get on then won't we  Smiley
Kazbah
Grafter

Jamesh, could you check your logs and see when I suffered my net drops yesterday and the day before please and can you see anything different with the drops? Thanks. Was out all day both days and came home to loss of connection on PC's but router still looked exactly as it should
James
Grafter

Hi Kaz,
It did last for 4 days before the drops yesterday and today, but there's nothing which looks either obvious or alarming.  I think you have to accept that sometimes the broadband connection will drop because of its very nature.
Did the new router arrive?
Kazbah
Grafter

Yes it did but haven't had to chance to set it up yet, are all details already in it or does it need accessing? Net didn't drop today I had to disconnect modem to put plug into another socket! I don't even know when it dropped and how long it was down for coz i was out! I just can't weigh up why this has suddenly started, it never did this before. I will get around to trying the now router and see if that helps any.
James
Grafter

Ok - Let me know how you get on with the router.  You'll probably just need to enter a username and password.
Given that your disconnection today was you rebooting, I don't think you have a massive problem, just that your old router doesn't automatically reconnect.
Kazbah
Grafter

Do you not see a drop for Saturday and Sunday? It was down both days when i came home and had to reboot both days
James
Grafter

Ah yes, one for each day.
4 days uptime until then.
Kazbah
Grafter

I'll check what I need to do with that router and get it ready for connecting to and next time it goes down i'll use new one and see where that takes us to.  Its strange really coz the same thing happens to my neighbour and its a different supplier, wonder if it could be something to do with the exchange
Kazbah
Grafter

Right, well, here we are again. I haven't had many problems since my last chat with Jameseh, who unfortunately can't help anymore  Undecided however, all seemed pretty good up until today, well on the dropping issue anyway. Anyway between then and now it's been intermittantly slow to open web pages and seeming to get slower, although speed testers are claiming a nice strong speed for downloading, i.e a recent test (just now) showed download speed of 5.62Mbps but pings at 120 but the page took almost a minute to open as do all the others. Today, between the hours of 3.20pm and 5.50pm my net dropped 3 times, my router looks as though its working yet my PC clearly indicates it is not and i have to reboot the modem. Also, there is the problem with Bejeweled, I know its not a major issue but I have a PC what CAN cope with such a poxy game and despite claims from individuals saying its Facebook, how can it be when the game is absolutely fine on my neighbours PC?? For those who aren't aware of the Bejeweled problem Im on about, it stutters or pauses (whatever you want to call it) briefly all the time, sometimes its not so bad and other times its unplayable. Now, if it was Facebook it would be the same on everybodys PC not just mine so I don't believe that at all. Also, the net drop issues, I don't believe this is a router issue either as my neighbour also suffers the problem but has a different provider, Im going on the chances it is BT/the exchange so who can work at resolving it?? It wasn't like it with my previous supplier and wasn't like it when i first joined PN either. Jameseh told me there were some improvements taking place recently so I allowed for these to take place and nothing has changed, if anything it is now worse.
So, issues to deal with are: why does my net drop for apparantly no reason, why does my gameplay stutter and why are my pages so slow to open. Plese don't fob me off any more, i'm done with that now.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Kazbah,
well I'm sorry about your problems and that they've been going on for so long, I was fairly busy during September and so missed your thread. It's especially frustrating when you have technical ability, which you clearly have, and yet can't resolve the problem. I'll just have a recap and then come and post back. It seems there are two totally separate issues here which must not be confused.