Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net drop

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Net drop

nozzer - we are not discussing IPProfile but default noise margin which is totally different
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

So, the default noise margin will change as well over time? I didn't know that; I thought once the training period was over it was fixed. Actually that's good, because my line was a shambles when first reconnected to BT.
(Just re-read that and it said "my life was a shambles etc.." which is also probably true!!!  Grin )
Kazbah
Grafter

My life's a shambles too so lets not stress huh!
I don't actually turn off my modem at night anyway, usually too tired to remember. Suppose as long as its staying connected it'll be ok if it speeds up in time. Just wish everything would be stable, line, speeds etc
Kazbah
Grafter

I'm presuming this is a good sign
Type                            Interleave     
Status                          No Defect

Downstream      Upstream
Data rate (Kbps)                  5952            448
Noise margin (dB)                9.9              23.0
Output power (dBm)            19.7            11.9
Attenuation (dB)                  37.0            23.0
The downstream noise margin has dropped to 9.9 from 12.6, thats good right????Huh
James
Grafter

This might be of interest:
"BT Wholesale are also proposing to provide a customer controlled SNR reset facility. This will be made possible by making a facility that is being developed for BT Wholesale Operation's people, accessible to all customers.
If a customer issue has been resolved by making changes to the end customers environment then a fasttrack recalculation of the line will be possible (by request) without the need to report a fault into BT Wholesale. It is expected that this service will be made available on eCo and B2B from the 9th December 2009."

There's a trial coming up in a couple of months which we've asked to take part in.  Note this is 20CN and not 21CN (yet).
nozzer
Hero

If your noise margin is reduced and the line still remains stable then yes, this is usually a good thing. It basically means that the router needs less of a "gap" between the strength of the signal it needs to work properly and what it is actually getting. It can change during the day.
Good reference..  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm
Kazbah
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
This might be of interest:
"BT Wholesale are also proposing to provide a customer controlled SNR reset facility. This will be made possible by making a facility that is being developed for BT Wholesale Operation's people, accessible to all customers.
If a customer issue has been resolved by making changes to the end customers environment then a fasttrack recalculation of the line will be possible (by request) without the need to report a fault into BT Wholesale. It is expected that this service will be made available on eCo and B2B from the 9th December 2009."

There's a trial coming up in a couple of months which we've asked to take part in.  Note this is 20CN and not 21CN (yet).

Hmmm, and this is there way of saying what exactly, we all know what BT are like. Wonder if it'll help any.  I read about 21CN last night, we are meant to get it in this area between Oct and March 2010.
My noise margin is fluctuating at the moment, gone from 9.9 to 9.7 to 10.1. Not had any net drops so thats good. Just have to see how things go and hope.
James
Grafter

I read it to mean that we'll be able to reset SNR back to the default of 6dB.
Kazbah
Grafter

But won't that cause stability issues if the SNR gradually decreases with stability? On the other hand maybe this'll help establish whether or not that is as true as we're told???
James
Grafter

Only on noisy lines.
It will fix "stuck" SNR problems.
Kazbah
Grafter

I'm guessing mine's a noisy line then coz my margin's now up to 13.4  Embarrassed
Kazbah
Grafter

This is getting silly, my download speed according to the speed checker is down to 3774, why is this? What is going on, its getting lower and lower  Sad
Kazbah
Grafter

Ok, now i really am pe'ed off. Done it again this morning. Jameseh, can you look and see if something has logged please. Router - all looked absolutely normal, all lights same as they would be if all connected. Net - jack all. Nothing loaded, initially, i rebooted PC to see if that helped but nope, had to reboot router, all seemed good just no web sign indicating full connection on icon on PC but all lights were normal on router. And just realised - damn, i didn't copy the flipping not connected message! Arrgggh
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I can see that you disconnected at 05:10 and reconnected 13 minutes ago.
RADIUS reports the connection drop as an administrative reset - could be standard maintenance on your exchange at that time in the morning.
nozzer
Hero

@Kazbah...  if your line stability and speeds are like this then maybe you need to get BT to look at the line itself?