Did you mean: 

NGT App being blocked on broadband connection

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: NGT App being blocked on broadband connection

NGT applications on my PC and two iPads are blocked at my home Wi-Fi. When I have used one of the iPads to connect two different Wi-Fi networks outside my home, one at my brother's (he is with Virgin Media) and other on my dongle (mobile Wi-fi with Three) the NGT application is working and connecting.

@Wifi-geek when you are connected to your home Wifi , the public IP address that is seen by NGT is the one allocated to your home internet connection. This public IP address will be different when you are connected to networks outside your home or to a mobile broadband.

Some applications try to check that the public IP is within certain geographic boundaries, NGT appear to try and check that it is in the UK. All of the PlusNet public IP address ranges are correctly registered as being in the UK. However, this 'geolocation' of an IP address is flawed in that the various providers of this facility use lookup databases that may well not be correct. It would appear that this is the case with NGT, they are incorrectly locating some of the PlusNet addresses as NOT in the UK, hence your access to their service is being blocked. Only NGT and/or their geolocation service provider can correct this by ensuring that their database is up to date.

I hope that explains

I am looking at testing the connection by changing back to my old router which I still keep!

Changing to an old router will not solve the problem, it's not the router that's the problem!. It MAY temporarily cause it to go away, since when reconnecting the router you MAY get a different public IP address which NGT see as being in the UK. However the problem may well return if your router should reconnect (and it almost certainly will at some time) for any reason.

The solution is for NGT to correct their geolocation

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.