Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NETGEAR DGND3300 real performance

GR4CE
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

NETGEAR DGND3300 real performance

I'm looking at changing my current router, a Netgear DG834 PN, to a NETGEAR DGND3300 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N ADSL 2+ Router and have read contradicting reviews.
Has anyone got any experience with this newer model?
Cheers Smiley
12 REPLIES 12
Alxns
Grafter

Re: NETGEAR DGND3300 real performance

In general its fine the wireless is great but you need the devices to be wireless N aswell to take advanage of the massive wifi range,
GR4CE
Rising Star

That would be fine as all the computers and Xbox in the house are N except for the PS3.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I might be completely wrong but I think that the router has to use the same wireless standard for all the attached devices.  So as soon as you turn on the PS3 the router will have to drop to wireless g  (which I presume is what the PS3 uses) and so you won't get the benefit of wireless N. 
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@ReedRichards I think you are correct, I use wireless N and so does my xbox 360 and when I hook up my Wii I lose wireless connection with xbox 360, Took me an age of head scratching to figure what was going on.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I changed from a Netgear DG834.  I think the DGNG3300 does not drop my connection as much as the DG834, but then again the connection only dropped once every couple of weeks so difficult to say.
GR4CE
Rising Star

It's been ordered today, so I'll report back soon if the PS3 on g makes everyone else on n lose connection!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It won't make everything else lose connection.  The only thing that will lose connection is something that is very far away from the router; that laptop you keep in a shed down the bottom of the garden for example.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

I have the 3300 dual band and connect on N and G at the same time no problem.
You set up 2 networks: a 5ghz N and a 2.4ghz G on seperate channels. No dropping occurs, can use both at the same time.
To detect and utilise the 5ghz N you'll need a 300 speed USB arial and then other items like PS3 will run on the G SSID
I put a 150 N arial on to test it and it would not work unless you dropped the N channel down to 2.4ghz
I'm now getting 102Mbps on my TV Media PC on the 5ghz where on G I was only getting 18-36.
The firware auto updates - is also very similar to the 834 so you'll be right at home, this model has a USB slot you can also share files over the netowrk very easily without having to leave PC's switched on.
EDIT - Key point to note, if you leave it on default out the box it broadcasts N at 5ghz and 2.4Ghz N network adaptors will NOT detect it.  There is more than one N setting !!!

Wireless Configuration
Type 1: Full 2.4 GHZ configuration supporting 802.11n/802.11g/802.11b
Type 2: Duo 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz configuration supporting 802.11n/802.11a (5 GHz) and 802.11g/802.11b (2.4 GHz)
GR4CE
Rising Star

Thanks, that's useful to know.
It arrived yesterday and my husband was setting everything up last night. I don't think there were dropped connections when he tested with the PS3 (as far as I can see, he did configure it as 5ghz N and a 2.4ghz G on seperate channels).
I'll tell him to check your post later  Smiley
It also has a traffic meter so now I can have something to compare with PN meter including the games consoles, as Networx doesn't. One thing I'm unsure about is if the Netgear traffic meter uses kibi (1024) or (kilo) 1000 as that might bring a difference with PN metering.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

The PS3 will connect on any setting as all the settings include the std G.
However with N devices, unless you name your 2 SSID differently you won't know which one you are using on some equipment as they share the PSK.
I named mine XXXXXX-G & xxxxxx-N so I could double check.
Happy to drop you a screen shot of the settings if you're not sure, however if you left it on it's default and you have no 5Ghz receivers all the N devices will have dropped onto the G side. You may then be better off in this instance setting up a 2.4ghz N which is NOT the default.
Yes trafic meter looks good, not something I've played with yet. Although the PN one is the only one that matters, I was wondering if it would measure traffic from different MAC addresses.
The USB share is very good though and also thinking of tinkering with the QOS and bandwidth allocations.
GR4CE
Rising Star

We put the same SSID for both N&G but I'll change it so we can check what connects where, good idea.
I had a look at the QoS too, and was going to test it see we can avoid the games consoles lagging when someone else is using  youtube or streaming.
I know PN meter is all that matters but when teenagers abuse bandwidth I like to know so I can cut them off  (evil mum!)  Wink  Networx is still better for that.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Depends what service you are on, x-box line and PS Network seem to be classed as download servers, not gaming.
Might be throttled as I recently found out which means upgrading your wireless won't change it.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml