Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NETGEAR DG834Gv2 and telnet

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

NETGEAR DG834Gv2 and telnet

Does anyone out there know if / how telnet can be enabled on the WAN interface on a DG834Gv2 please?
I've done the secret fix to turn telnet on, but I assume this is for LAN side only.  I want to be able to remotely monitor / manage this router.  Already have RouterStats remotely recording via the http interface - if possible, I'd like to get at the telnet stats as well.
Thanks,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

5 REPLIES 5
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: NETGEAR DG834Gv2 and telnet

This would be very insecure because (if it's the same as the v3), there's no login nor password, it just goes straight to a root shell. And all sorts of foreign IPs attempt to connect to the telnet port quite frequently.
However, I suppose you could try port forwarding some random high port number, restricted to only your (hopefully static) IP address, to the router IP address and telnet port (23). That would be less insecure, although all the data would still be transferred unencrypted.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi ejs,
That consideration / risk had not been lost on me and using an alternative port was to be part of my defence strategy.  That said port 23 on the WAN side is not responding... leading me to believe that more configuration is required to open it.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kmilburn
Grafter

If you have a server running internally with SSH,  that would provide a secure route into your LAN and you could telnet to the router from there.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I was thinking that you wouldn't need to open port 23 on the WAN side, if you forward another port to it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ejs,
That was my intended strategy.  I have successfully 'got in' by directing port 23 to the LAN side address for the router (clearly not secure) however I cannot find (in the web user interface) a means of  mapping another-port on the WAN side to port 23 on the LAN.  I guess I can make do with port 23 access restricted to a known IP address.
Kevin