cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My trial results - disappointing..

drapes

My trial results - disappointing..

Hi, I joined the trial nearly 2 weeks ago - and my results are a bit disappointing.
In the first few days the line would sync at 16 or 17Mbps - but after a few hours the internet connectivity would drop (even though the line remained synced).  The only fix for this seemed to be to restart the router.  The sync speed gradually dropped - now at 7.5Mbps (lower than when I was on ADSL Max).  Is there anything  I can do to improve this?
Thanks,
-Mat
My modem is a Netgear DG834G with the latest firmware. Here's my stats:

System Up Time 67:02:28
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 20769994 26781237 0 11393 10394 67:01:47
LAN 100M/Full 26200390 24116340 0 11457 74 67:02:24
WLAN 11M/54M 12731 407 0 11 0 67:02:14

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7659 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 24 db 7.5 db
Noise Margin 2147483647 db 24 db
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: My trial results - disappointing..

Are you sure that's ADSL2+ - look like Max speeds to me.
Try updating to the DGTeam firmware, it's very controllable.  Wink
I use on my DG834GT (line slightly shorter than you with 21dB attenuation) and run around 21mbps most of the time.  Cheesy
PS What version DG834G is it - there are 5 of them now!
drapes

Hi, it's a DG834Gv1 - and I think I should probably stick to the official firmware before adding more variables by changing it...?
I was confirmed by PN as being on the trial (and I was syncing over 16Mbps) - please could someone from PN confirm that I'm still on the trial, and maybe look at my stats to see if anything can be done about my sync speed?
Others have noted that internet drops even when the line remains synced - is this normal for a line that is too noisy etc?
Many thanks,
-Mat
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It looks like you were provisioned on 21CN with upstream speed capped and need to PM Jameseh to get this removed.
However that shouldn't directly affect your download speeds. The huge downstream noise margin shown in your stats represents -1dB, suggesting your line is very noisy and this will be why your sync speed has dropped so much. You mentioned the current sync speed is lower than you had on maxDSL. Did intermittent noise ever cause that to drop to much lower values?
David
David
drapes

Hi, thanks I'll sort out the upstream...
I thought that a downstream noise margin of -1 simply implied that the line is still under Dynamic Line Management - is this the case?  A 'silent line' test seems pretty quiet - I've never had noise problems afaik.
On Max DSL my line stayed synced and operational for months at a time - normally the only reboots would be when my mains circuit breaker tripped because of a blown bulb or dodgy toaster! 
Please could someone from PN check out my case?
Many thanks,
-Mat
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: drapes
I thought that a downstream noise margin of -1 simply implied that the line is still under Dynamic Line Management - is this the case?

The line is under dynamic line measurement 24x7, that's part of of the ADSL set-up. The extra bit during training is RAMBO (Rate Adaptive Management Box) - assuming RAMBO is still used with 21CN.
Speculative comment - It's possible a noise margin of -1 means the router doesn't know the proper value so supplies that. Perhaps that's part of the problem, if the management system doesn't know it might be guessing, and not making a good job of doing that, leading to low sync speeds.
Does the router still show -1?
David
David
drapes

Yes it's still -1
Thanks,
-Mat
James
Grafter

Hi Mat,
I've replied to your PM and just seen this thread.
The drop in speeds is almost certainly going to be down to your noise margin being a touch troublesome.  Can you make sure that you are connected directly to your master socket via a filter and disconnect all other telephony devices (including Sky boxes).  Have a look at the connection speed on your router then, does it improve?  Does it improve further after trying to use a different filter?