cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My speed has dropped

ToeKnee60
Grafter

My speed has dropped

I had unlimited fibre installed on 30 December last year.
After the first few days the speed settled at about 70 to 71 Mb/s down and 15 Mb/s up according to BT Wholesale's speed tester.
(I am connected to the router via a Cat6 Ethernet cable and have performed tests when no one else in my house is on the Internet.)

It was consistently at this speed until Wednesday 15 January then it dropped right down to about 17 Mb/s.
I restarted my router (but not the Openreach modem) and for the last few days my speed only goes up to 63Mb/s.
Do you have any suggestions on how I can get back to 70Mb/s down?
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: My speed has dropped

I suggest posting the results of a BT speedtest Further Diagnostics as that may give a steer
ToeKnee60
Grafter

It looks like my IP profile has fallen from 75 to 65 Mb/s.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

it may improve over time but then again with the increase in cross talk as the cab gets more populated it may not - really helpful aren't I  Roll_eyes
ToeKnee60
Grafter

Is my IP profile  likely to improve by itself in the next few days or should I ask someone from Plusnet to adjust it back to 75 again?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The IP Profile is not adjustable as it is calculated automatically from the sync speed so the only way that it would change ios if the automatic systems at the cab decided that it could increase the sync speed
Yadda
Grafter

The same thing happened to my connection (I was getting 47/9 for a while after switching to FTTC but it dropped to 35/7).
A ticket was raised to investigate this (and some stability issues I was experiencing) and Plusnet arranged an Openreach engineer visit. Unfortunately nothing could be done about it and I'm stuck at 35/7.
I can only assume my original profile was to much for my line to handle so it adjusted itself downwards.