Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My own modem right from day 1?

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

My own modem right from day 1?

Having read of people not having their modems or routers ready after their service is installed, I was thinking of getting myself the DrayTek Vigor 2760n combined modem/router instead of the router I have asked for as part of my signup.  Is there any reason this might not be such a good idea?  I mean I know it's ok with the service in general terms but am I likely to regret not at least starting off with the supplied one?
23 REPLIES 23
myredhotcar
Grafter

Re: My own modem right from day 1?

I'm no expert but unless the cost of the DrayTek is an issue no.
Some people have no issues with bundled routers; I have never owned a decent bundled router. I have never used the PN bundled router but from what I can tell it certainly isn't a spectacularly great bit of kit.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Keep the supplied one as support are Trained for them, then if[more likely when] you get problems, you have a router to test with.  Then you won't confuse the support agent by using a different router than they know.
But if you can afford it why not, just remember if you have problems down the line, try the supplied one first and double check.  Also ticks the box of , yes I have tried another type of router, which they always ask for you to do
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Own router certainly (I never included the PN one in my own order) but own modem? I'm not certain - if BT tweak the system with for example vectoring would a third party modem support it fully? Of course it may be that the BT issued modems couldn't either and would need replacing but that would still just be the modem and not the entire modem/router combo which currently don't come cheap. Certainly the HG612 only has a 100Mbps ethernet port so there isn't much headroom for headline speed increases.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I am attracted to the combo device because it's just neater and take up fewer sockets and creates less heat in my distribution cupboard from the transformers.  Hopefully it'll manage two or three years before becoming obsolete.
Well the BT modem will come whether I want it or not, and the PN router is only about a fiver extra so no point in actually refusing either of them.  But if I buy the Draytek now, at least it will be there in the case that one of the other two boxes is a no-show on the day Smiley
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've got the same model at home, and am currently using it with BE broadband which are moving me over to Sky. Roll_eyes
The reason I got it is I am supposed to be getting fibre in March (and green boxes have appeared in my area so it looks like it might actually be happening and not delayed again).
I wanted to replace the ISP supplied Thomson router, and there wasn't much point in buying a new ASDL router when Fibre is (hopefully) around the corner. So I got a combined unit.
I didn't find it that easy to set up and the menus are strange. I got it working though, and from what I read, the 1.1 firmware was shit but the 1.2 (that was in beta) was much better.
Main issues I've still got with it is:

• I can’t get the Sky wireless connector to work with it. It works with wireless encryption turned off, but as soon as it’s on it won't connect. That worked fine with encryption enabled on the Thomson, and every other wireless device (iPhones, iPads) work with the Draytek so I can only assume it's some weird firmware bug.

• I get disconnected every hour, but it comes back within seconds. You can see this from the connection uptime. Never happened with the Thomson so I don't think it's my connection (well bit of a coincidence if it is).

However today I've noticed they've released a non-beta firmware 1.21 Grin
Going to give that a whirl at the weekend and I'll post back here to let you know how it goes.
I suppose I could upgrade it now as I am connected remotely to my home server from work (typing this from there), but then if the link doesn't come back ...
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

I am sorry to hear the 1.1 firmware was censored Tongue
I am actually a BE migrant, I wanted fibre but didn't want my phone line unbundled, so I chose the ISP that was reselling without unbundling Cheesy
I look forward to your reports.
Alex
Community Veteran

Will post back at the weekend - the release notes look promising when they say:
30. Fixed Apple AirPlay service no working via Wireless LAN.

So clearly there was a wireless issue which they've fixed - and I'm hoping that didn't just apply to AirPlay.
As a developer, I know the golden rule of releasing details of bugs publicly is to word them in such a way which makes them appear a lot less severe than they actually are Grin
If it fixes my two issues I'll be happy - I suppose dodgy firmware is the price you pay for buying a brand new model.
Hopefully this will make 2760 a much better unit.
Alex
Community Veteran

Took a chance and upgraded the firmware today whilst at work.
Router rebooted and internet connection died, so couldn't remote back onto my PC.
But luckily there was someone at home who I got to reboot the router again, and 20 minutes later the connection was back on. Smiley
Seems more stable, am connected now and haven't noticed any drops. Will take me a couple of days of use to be sure it has made a difference.
Will try the Sky Wireless connector out when I get home.
Alex
Community Veteran

Configured the Wireless Adaptor via the web interface, at least it's getting DHCP details via the Vigor 2760 with encryption now (a lot more than it did before).
I'll try it in the Sky box tomorrow, but looking good. Smiley
Alex
Community Veteran

Ok - update.
The new firmware has sorted the Sky problem, and all is working fine there.
It hasn't sorted the disconnection problem, which only happened when I started using that router.
I'm in the process of changing filters and disconnecting stuff to see if it's something dodgy my end.
Since BE are shutting down and I'm being transferred to Sky, I don't know who to contact and it's highly unlikely either party will care anyway.
I suspect it isn't a line problem, as it only started happening when I changed routers - I hope the Draytek isn't faulty.
Since FTTC is coming to me in March (laugh), I'm considering transferring to PlusNet anyway if that does happen.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Ok, I have totally failed to set up the vigor 2760n to work with plusnet fiber.  It got connected physically, but I suspect it was failing to negotiate the plusnet protocol. It reported a good line speed but it continued to say "connecting" and I could not open any web pages.
I am pretty sure it's because I can't find all the places to put in the necessary settings options (maybe they're just called something different on the vigor and I don't recognise them).  Could anyone with fiber, and their own modem, please tell me what settings they have?
Alex
Community Veteran

Not sure if you've seen it, but Draytek have got a setup guide for the 2760.
It is here, though it now seems you to have to register (so create a fake address and password of your choice Smiley ).
Follow the setup screens for VDSL. I can't help with the fibre side of things, as I'm not due to get it till 31 March, but give me a shout if you want to know anything else about my setup.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

I have been trying to access those pages for a couple of days but it's not been happy with my attempts to register.  The site and error email seem to think I am not in the UK.
Alex
Community Veteran

I looked at it around a week ago and I'm sure then you didn't have to register.
I'll see if I can access it now and figure a way to send it to you if I can.