Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new router: Draytek Vigor 2820n Wireless Router

hydester
Grafter

My new router: Draytek Vigor 2820n Wireless Router

Hi
I thought I would let everyone know about my experiences with my new router, the Draytek Vigor 2820n
I had been having real problems with my old router, the Netgear DG834N    - constantly dropping connection leading me to have to reboot it as much as once every five minutes on occasions.
Having done some research I saw that the Draytek Vigor 2820n  had some pretty good feedback and after a tossup between this and a Billion router (both of which makes I'd never heard of before)  I took the plunge and shelled out over £150 on this router and after some initial problems it now seems to be rock solid.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=5267
I had some real problems getting connected at first. One of the key things to note is that you should  the change the setting of your WAN to  ADSL 2+ G.992.5
Before I did this I had gone through the setup wizard successfully but had no traffic going up or down. Even after doing this it didn't work for a little while but having unplugged it to change back to my old router it miraculously seem to work once I had reconnected it again.
I managed to update the firmware only using Firefox not Safari (I am on a Mac) and now all is hunky-dory.
So far I would really recommend this router but it is early days yet. The wireless signal is not quite as strong as the Netgear but I can live with that (I have heard that the Billion has a better wireless signal)
I would be grateful if James or someone Plusnet could now increase my speed which is currently at 8000. I don't think there's a problem with my line or connection and previously with the Netgear I had got as much as 14,000 albeit with very unstable connection. I am happy to risk greater instability as a pay-off for trying to achieve higher up and download speeds.
One thing I can't seem to find on the Draytek interface are all the figures for noise attenuation and so forth. I attach here with a screenshot of the Draytek Vigor2820n interface
With thanks in anticipation for increasing my speed
Steve
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: My new router: Draytek Vigor 2820n Wireless Router

Hiya,
I'm afraid that we're profiling your line the same as BT.
If you give it a few days, hopefully it'll pick up again Smiley
hydester
Grafter

OK thanks
Best wishes
Stephen
Will177
Grafter

Quote from: hydester
Hi
One thing I can't seem to find on the Draytek interface are all the figures for noise attenuation and so forth. I attach here with a screenshot of the Draytek Vigor2820n interface

What exactly is it that are you looking for?  Clearly not just the SNR and loop attenuation shown on your screenshot.
I used to view the nice ADSL frequency spectrum analysis graph on my old Vigor 2600, but I cannot  find such a graph on my Vigor 2820n.  Sad
Anyway, the 2120n a very nice and stable router and the wireless works fine for me and seems similar in range to the Netgear DG834G.  I don't use the 802.11n as yet, only the 802.11g.
Let us know if you find the noise attenuation info you are after.

Will177
Grafter

Attached is my online status for comparison - I'm only using ADSL Max (not ADSL 2+) hence the 8MB download connection speed.
hydester
Grafter

Quote from: Will177

What exactly is it that are you looking for?  Clearly not just the SNR and loop attenuation shown on your screenshot.

Actually I was just being a bit dumb &  not too acquainted with the terminology/acronyms
Yes all the info is there

The Draytek Vigor2820n is still going flawlessly & I hope that the BT profiling scheme will acknowledge this & up my line speed accordingly in due course
Best
Steve