Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My linespeed keeps decreasing

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: My linespeed keeps decreasing

Profile Info: WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Gandalf - Thank you!

@Rossco72,

Either your router is messing with the SNRM or you have a REIN problem here.

I look forward to seeing the router stats.  Please try to avoid restarting the router.  Just keep a watch on the DS SNRM, it ought to be circa 6dB most of the time, if its any lower, then there is an issue to be investigated.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rossco72
Dabbler

I've attached the stats from the Billion.

I got a call from customer support who said my line was restricted to 6mbps because thats all I was connecting at!!

That seems crazy to me, why isn't the line free to connect at the speed the router can handle?Huh

Anyway, he said he would set the limit to 15mbps and what do you know, I'm now getting pretty consistent downloads around 13.5mbps.

I can believe this has been ongoing for the best part of 2 months, an engineer visit and so much hassle when all it appears to have taken was some limit set against my account!

Anyway, everything is now good, Netflix and NFL stream just fine, even when someone else is on Facebook in the house so I guess all's well that ends well.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Could it be because your Linksys router is faulty, and will only sync at 6Mbps?

The profile is set at what your router syncs at, so not so crazy - this is just basic stuff, and sync speed should be the first thing you look at, not speed tests - you will never get a speed test showing higher than your sync speed.
Rossco72
Dabbler

to save me from trying to reconfigure all of my devices, fixed ip's port mapping etc for the 50 or so devices on. my network, I have attached the linksys to the billion and all is working fine.

I'm not an IT expert, I really don't have time or fun from sorting IT out, I would like as much as possible to be plug and play.

Not sure we will get to bottom of this issue, but going through the router then the billion I am getting acceptable speeds and sync now my profile has been amended.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Its easy enough to find out, just remove the Billion and put the Linksys back on the line, you will find out overnight.

Either it is not configured correctly, or has a faulty modem, which you have now bypassed by using the Billion.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Rossco72 wrote:

I've attached the stats from the Billion.

I got a call from customer support who said my line was restricted to 6mbps because thats all I was connecting at!!

That seems crazy to me, why isn't the line free to connect at the speed the router can handle?Huh

Anyway, he said he would set the limit to 15mbps and what do you know, I'm now getting pretty consistent downloads around 13.5mbps.

I can believe this has been ongoing for the best part of 2 months, an engineer visit and so much hassle when all it appears to have taken was some limit set against my account!

Anyway, everything is now good, Netflix and NFL stream just fine, even when someone else is on Facebook in the house so I guess all's well that ends well.

It looks like the speed profile on your account didn't update automatically to the sync speed, because the IP profile hadn't updated following changes to the sync speed. I can see that's updated as of today.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Rossco72,

Do you have a fixed IP address?

Have you changed the default settings of the router to manipulate the SNRM?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.