cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience on 21CN

nelldo

My experience on 21CN

Is it worth considering moving on to 21CN?
In my experience no......
Before I was moved over I had a solid connection of 6.5mb, which was very stable. I moved over on to 21 CN as I was offered this as part of a deal to stay with Plusnet,  as this would provide me with a speed increase. My connection instantly dropped to approximately 4.7mb. Tickets were raised but questions ramained unanswered.l was eventually asked to wait 10 days for the system to learn and settle. After 10 days my speed was exactly the same. A configuration change was made(?) and I achieved 7.4 mb. This has now dropped to 1.8mb. My ticket is open, and I'm waiting for a reply.
I know that this is a trial, and that teething problems are to be expected, but I think that the current service is a long way below where it needs to be.
For anyone considering moving on to the trial I would suggest that you shouldn't move over expecting a speed increase, and be prepared to be dissappointed.
Embarrassed
8 REPLIES 8
nelldo

Re: Question Thread

On my original invite from Plusnet support to join the trial it said to post any problems here, so here goes....
Before the trial I had a solid connection of 6.5 mb, after being moved on to 21CN this dropped to 4.7mb. I was asked to allow 10 days for settling and learning. After 10 days nothing had changed and a configuration change was made (by Plusnet) which meant I could achieve 7.5 MB. I had a DSL connection of 10000 and a BT profile of 8000. I was told that this was the best speed I could expect with this DSL connection speed.
My download speed has now dropped to 1.8mb, and my DSL connection has gone up to 11992. I expected teething problems, but not a massive degredation in service
Cry
Moderator's Note.
Post moved from Question Thread to here to avoid confusion from the same post being in two different threads.
David (spraxyt)
James
Grafter

Re: My experience on 21CN

Hi Nelldo,
For starters, I can understand why anyone moving to ADSL2+ would expect to be able to see faster speeds.  I would myself and would be very dissapointed to get otherwise.
Downstream Link Info   
Loop Loss 25.2 
SNR Margin 8.9 
Speed 11992

Those are your basic line stats, with your line currently being profiled at 8Mbps.  I can see that at our end your line profile has been set to 2Mbps, which I suspect may have been down to the initial stability period.  I'm sorry that this wasn't amended since - it's a totally manual process as we don't yet have any automation built in to the profiling system.  Thanks to BT, they decided to use a different one to the IPStream system.  Try rebooting for me and see if you notice an improvement?
Also, looking at those stats above, I can see that your noise margin is a touch high at aroun 9dB.  Are you wired into your master socket?  If you try using the test socket (behind the master faceplate), you might be able to get a bit more out of your line and give you even more than what you had previously.  It's always an idea to try using a different filter and even if at all possible to try using a different ADSL2+ capable router.
Either way, I reckon you should be getting considerably better speeds than you were earlier today and hopefully you'll be able to get a little bit more with some wiring tweaking.
James
Grafter

Re: Question Thread

Hi Nelldo,
I suggest you check your other thread.  I've replied at length and hopefully managed to improve things a bit for you.
Moderator's Note:
This responds to Reply #1 which has been moved from Question Thread to here to keep discussion in one place.
David (spraxyt)
nelldo

Quote from: Jameseh
Those are your basic line stats, with your line currently being profiled at 8Mbps.  I can see that at our end your line profile has been set to 2Mbps, which I suspect may have been down to the initial stability period.  I'm sorry that this wasn't amended since - it's a totally manual process as we don't yet have any automation built in to the profiling system.  Thanks to BT, they decided to use a different one to the IPStream system.  Try rebooting for me and see if you notice an improvement?
Also, looking at those stats above, I can see that your noise margin is a touch high at aroun 9dB.  Are you wired into your master socket?  If you try using the test socket (behind the master faceplate), you might be able to get a bit more out of your line and give you even more than what you had previously.  It's always an idea to try using a different filter and even if at all possible to try using a different ADSL2+ capable router.
Either way, I reckon you should be getting considerably better speeds than you were earlier today and hopefully you'll be able to get a little bit more with some wiring tweaking.

James, thanks for your help. What ever you did has worked and I'm now back up to 7.5mb. If My DSL connection has risen from 10000 to 11292 doesn't my connection speed (which is set at 8000) need raising?
Moderator's Note: Added missing quote tags for the quoted text. David (spraxyt)
James
Grafter

Hi Nelldo,
It's dependant on BT amending their profiling.  I just amended ours to what theirs says.
I'm not sure what the actual sync speed thresholds are (and couldn't easily find anything in google), but if your sync speed goes up, your profiling should follow after a couple of days.
nelldo

Hi james,
I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.
Thanks again for your help. I have had a ticket open since moving on to the trial which I updated earlier, this hasn't had any action that I can see. Can you update it to say that you have sorted things for me.
Cheers Cheesy
James
Grafter

Sure, I'll do that now Smiley
pnf
Grafter

Re: "sync speed thresholds", the table contained in the following web page provides details of the sync speeds associated with specific IP Profiles.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm