cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My download speess are barely above 120kb's!

spadger023
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

My download speess are barely above 120kb's!

Download speeds are awful past few weeks, down to approx 120k! Would love to find out why our speed is so bad now. Okay, we never had brilliant sppeds anyways, but always had at least 500k which for what we wer epaying for wasn't too much to moan about. But now down to such a low level i was thinking of digging out my Acid house t-shirts and albums to relive the early 90's 🙂

Any chance this can be sorted for us chaps and chapettes, as you're number one for customer service 🙂

9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: My download speess are barely above 120kb's!

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums. What self help trouble shooting steps have you already taken?

Is your phone line quiet?

Is the router plugged into the master socket?

Look at the first 3 links below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spadger023
Dabbler

Yup, line seems to be quiet enough again it was never the best phoneline though sometimes had a whistling sound, and have plugged router in to master socket, have disconnected all other phones connected to the lines, and have swapped and tried new filters, unfortunately nothing is working as expected. We have two computers one using wifi and one connected via ethernet, and the speeds are the same through both connections when tested, not connected at the same time of course because we don't want to mess up the speed tests.

I did spot a BT openreach van doing work on the phone exchange I thinkl you call it several times recently so was wondering if they had affected the connections, but a call to their btwholesale line hav denied they've done anything to the lines that would have affected my broadband,

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Can you post the router stats please?

Given the basic checks have been done, it is probably wise to raise a faukt report using the link below. If a staffer jumps on the case and does a line test and finds anything amiss they will request that you raise a fault report anyway. (it drives the process for arranging engineer visits).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @spadger023, sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

Checking your connection from this side there certainly seems to be something that's cropped up and adjusted your speeds shows on the profile infor below. From looking it seems errors occuring here and there are the reason behind your line speed banding and as all the errors are currently being shown as upload as opposed to donwload it does hint at something being out of place internally.

I've reset the automated line settings back to where they should be by uncapping the speeds and adjsuting the signal to noise ratio to where it should be for your line length.

Since corrected line profile:

Profile Info:
WBC 576K - 1M Medium delay (INP 4) 6dB Downstream, 448 Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 50.5 54.5
SNR Margin: 6.0 5.6
Errored Seconds: 4 0
HEC Errors: 15  
Cell Count: 6407064 28654397
Speed: 173 993

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 6240 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 4992
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 3240 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 43
Indicative Line Quality: C Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 120
Custom Thresholds

I'd advise turning the rotuer off and back on in the next hour or later and monitoring to see how the connection and speeds are doing.

Let us know how it goes as this will determine whether we go through troubleshooting steps to try narrow down a  potential fault or if it was jsut the automated line settings which wern't where they should be.

spadger023
Dabbler

Hi thanks for your help. we#re seeing a smal increase in download speeds, approx 200 to 220k roughly, give or take so certianly better. The speedtest for the line is telling me we're only going to get 1mb max download speeds though.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @spadger023, thanks for getting back to us. Upon testing your conenction it seems that there were more than the line speeds being banded and signal strength that look to be behind your speed issues. This is because when checking, your estimates for the line look to be 6 - 8 Mbps as opposed to the 2Mbps we are currently seeing getting to your rotuer. I'd advise then, setting the rotuer up in the optimal set-up and seeing if the speeds increase within estimates. If not, then we can rasie a fault to our suppliers to investigate further who may advise a engineer come out to investigate further.

You can get your router in the optimal set-up by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the speeds increase. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how it goes in this set-up and when in this set up and we'll happily progress this issue forwards if need be.

spadger023
Dabbler

Doesn't seem to have made a difference really. Downloads looked like they were going up to 250/270k then it settled back down to the 200/220k range again.

spadger023
Dabbler

Correction: I've put the socket back now. And re did the speed test and am now getting approx 300k to 500k, probably acveraging out to 500k roughly. Hopefully this is okay?

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm afraid although we can see a increase of speed to what's showing now as 4.9Mbps we are still seeing the sync speeds under where they should be. I'd advise from here then to please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it so we can progress this for you.