cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer hogs all the bandwidth!

Seriphyn

My computer hogs all the bandwidth!

Hey folks!
I just negotiated with PlusNet to give me unlimited internet for less than £10 extra Grin (I was half-expecting to hear the typical British 'computer says no!' so PlusNet = awesome)
Anyway, there's a bit of a problem with the current setup. I live in a first floor flat, an old building in Aberdeen made of granite and so forth. The phone line is in my room, in fact, it's actually coming out of a glued hole in the window frame to the telephone pole just a couple metres outside. So, this is where my router consequentially, on my desk right next to the window.
I have a beastly desktop (cost £2000 grand to get it custom-made, I totally got my priorities right, right?). It is connected directly via ethernet to the router on my desk. My flatmate, however, has a problem. He is in his own room, which is about 7.5-10 metres away. He has a laptop that goes via wireless connection. He says his connection is fine, but only until my desktop is turned on, after which, his laptop has a miserable connection. It's annoying him a bit, heard him yell a couple times as a connection to a streaming football game has cut off.
I have a Netgear DGN2000. I have attempted to access the router, go into "Wireless Settings" and up the "Wireless Network > Mode" from "Up to 130mbps" to "Up to 270mbps" (other options are g & b, g only and b only). However, when I did that, he said it goes worse, so I dropped it back down. Whenever my computer is off, it is reportedly fine. I have not investigated his laptop as atm it's a point of contention and I've been too shy to ask him to see what I could do (like sit in my room to see if that makes a difference). He did say that moving into the kitchen (which is adjacent to my room) did nothing.
Any ideas? I feel like a git, tbh, as he's paying me rent and I'm obliged to provide him with Internet access. Thanks in advance!
13 REPLIES 13
StuartUK35
Grafter

Re: My computer hogs all the bandwidth!

if you run a 'torrent' tool on your machine, and half the time, even if its doing nothing, these thing kill your bandwith.....
only thing i can think of.....
or, your running somthing which use's all your available bandwith, so the other guy cant get a look in.... etc etc
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If your PC is running Windows you might find the Networx monitoring tool useful for identifying the network traffic it is originating. Networx has an option to report only WAN (Internet) traffic.
David
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Seriphyn
I just negotiated with PlusNet to give me unlimited internet for less than £10 extra Grin

Lips_are_sealed Lips_are_sealed Lips_are_sealed
Nice deal.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
zubel
Community Veteran

You may find that the Networx tool shows no unusual usage.  It does sound like your computer may actually be causing RF interference with the wifi.
I'd try siting the router a bit further away from your computer itself and see if that makes a difference.
B.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd go along with Barry's thoughts. If you power on your PC and immediately go in to the BIOS setup so that Windows doesn't start and he sees the problem it definitely means it's some sort of interference.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Seriphyn

Hey, thanks for your replies so far. I will definitely try moving around the router (but short distance from phone line means it won't be by much).
Interestingly enough, the xbox 360 does not slow down when playing online multiplayer on xbox LIVE. This is even further away from the router than his laptop. Possibly something wrong with his laptop, then?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is his laptop by any chance a Dell? Any idea what wireless card it might be using?
David
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If he's trying to watch streaming TV then you will need a fast connection for both of you to be online at the same time.  So what is your routers connection speed/speedtest results?
Ideally you need 2mbit each plus a spare margin/overhead, if both of you are doing the same and watching on demand TV or live TV.  Worse if it's HD TV streams then that requires a lot more to not buffer 3-4mbit.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Seriphyn

Well, apparently it was only really bad over the weekend, and speaking to him about it directly, it seems only streaming seems to be a problem. Everything else is fine. We get a ping of 40ms each, jitter of 2-4ms (he got 2) and same speeds of 12-15mbps depending on the day. He neglected to tell me streaming was the issue, and everything else was fine!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm. Does streaming work fine on other PCs?
Seriphyn

Not so sure about streaming...something else just came up...
As of right now, his laptop is not connecting wirelessly. On this computer, wired, I'm getting 13mbps. I busted out my laptop, took it to the living room, and for a couple minutes got 0.24mbps, then waited, it hopped up to 6mbps.
I asked him to try again on his laptop and it's not working for him. His laptop's wireless adapter is Atheros AR5B91. I'm about to try getting a USB wireless adapter from the basement, see if that works.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Seriphyn,
Where is he streaming from? Could be the laptop or wireless interference? Worth trying it via ethernet if that's the case.
Jojo Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Seriphyn
I have a beastly desktop (cost £2000 grand to get it custom-made, I totally got my priorities right, right?). It is connected directly via ethernet to the router on my desk. My flatmate, however, has a problem. He is in his own room, which is about 7.5-10 metres away. He has a laptop that goes via wireless connection. He says his connection is fine, but only until my desktop is turned on, after which, his laptop has a miserable connection. It's annoying him a bit, heard him yell a couple times as a connection to a streaming football game has cut off.
I have a Netgear DGN2000. I have attempted to access the router, go into "Wireless Settings" and up the "Wireless Network > Mode" from "Up to 130mbps" to "Up to 270mbps" (other options are g & b, g only and b only). However, when I did that, he said it goes worse, so I dropped it back down. Whenever my computer is off, it is reportedly fine. I have not investigated his laptop as atm it's a point of contention and I've been too shy to ask him to see what I could do (like sit in my room to see if that makes a difference). He did say that moving into the kitchen (which is adjacent to my room) did nothing.

10m - especially with a couple of walls is a long way for wireless. He is lucky to get anything.
If your monster PC has a wireless connection, it will interfere with your mates wireless.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."