cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My broadband slower than what it was before.....

Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My broadband slower than what it was before.....

Two weeks ago I have experienced a dramatic broadband speed drop. I used to have a download between 2200mbps and 2300mbps for the last one and a half years. (that is with my netbook and on a wireless connection).It had gone down to in between 800 and 900mbps.(Using My Broadband Speed)
One week later I realised my phone line was down and had no dial tone. I contacted BT and they repaired the phone line on wednesday. My broadband is better now,  but lower than what it was.
I had an email on 20/01/2012 telling me that Plusnet would be switching my service over to the  21CN network. I don't know if they did and if it's the reason why my line has gone down.
Can someone look into this? I am not asking for superfast broadband, and didn't mind cruising at 2200mbps, but right now I can't even watch a video on youtube or a program on iplayer, and it doesn't seem to get any better than that.
Phone exchange: ROMFORD
Estimated line speed: 1.0Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-12-31 13:44:26
Current line speed: 2.5 Mb
15 REPLIES 15
glowworm

Re: My broadband slower than what it was before.....

I was sent some photos yesterday and I realised that the download speed was abysmal, about 200kb/s. I always leave the modem on but since I couldn't think of anything else to do I turned it off and back on. Download speed is now about 10 times faster Smiley
The modem is a Voyager 210 supplied by Plusnet. Maybe it needs a rest now and then, poor thing. Huh
Lolaan
Rising Star

I was told to not turn the modem off and leave it on at all times, as it could start something that will result in slower speed. So I have left it on.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is something horribly wrong with your connection
I recommend resynching the router tomorrow morning when it is light as your upstream speed is disastrous
Lolaan
Rising Star

How do you do that? Is it a question of unplugging the router from the mains and plug it back again? Is it important to do it in the morning?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It is important to do it during the daylight  for the best speeds and the best way is to disconnect from the internet using the router control panel then either reboot the router or just unplug it from the phone line
Lolaan
Rising Star

I'll have to do it friday then, I leave early in the morning to work and come back at 17:00. Friday I'm back at 12:00.
How long should I wait before plugging the router back? Will it reconnect back to the internet on its own?
(Sorry if those questions sounds stupid, but this is my first router, and I haven't had to do anything like that to it until now, and when I need to do something new like that I start to worry that I will do something wrong or something will go wrong and that I will lose my internet connection for good).
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Only a few minutes and it will reconnect on it's own
Lolaan
Rising Star

Thanks Oldjim, will try that and see what happens. Smiley
Lolaan
Rising Star

Well, I have done what Oldjim suggested, and for a little while it has gone up a bit, just above 2000mbps, while there were barely any improvements on my upstream speed. (I am looking at My broadband speed, as this is the one I use when I notice my speed is slowing down).
I want someone from Plusnet to look into it, before my line crashed I nearly had 2500mbps, it was going up from the usual 2200/2300mbps I use to have, now it's going down again.
I had an email last year in july, then another one this january, both telling me that I will be passed onto the 21 CN network, what's happened to that? Not that I am keen to get onto it, as it won't make my speed any more faster, but some seemed to have experienced a slow down in speed when they switched, so I would be interested to know if it's  that's what is messing up my speed.
Ok, it's only a few hundred mbps I am complaining about, but at such a low speed a few hundred of them counts, and I want to know the reason why it's gone down after one and a half years of stable fast enough (for me) speed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There is a major problem on your line as shown by the appallingly low upload speed.
Have you raised a fault and have you tried connecting the router to the test socket with nothing else connected
Lolaan
Rising Star

No, I haven't raised a fault yet as I am trying to see whether the fault is on my side first. I don't have a test socket, unfortunately, and my upstram speed is down to 11mbps.
Should I raise a fault with Plusnet or BT straight away? There must be something they haven't done or they did when they repaired my telephone line.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Your upstream speed is actually 0.11mbps
Before raising it have you tried the quiet line test - dial 17070 option 2 - there should be no noise
Also have you tried with only the router connected via a different filter
Lolaan
Rising Star

Quite line test : no noise.
Tried with only the router and another filter.
Results BT speed test :
Download speed  :  1.66mbps       
Upload speed  :  63kbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on my line is - 832 kbps

Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case you have done everything you can.
Raise a fault