cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My broadband has been deteriating over the last month :(

Spektor
Dabbler

Re: My broadband has been deteriating over the last month :(

Sounds like alot of work and effort for just trial and error, not sure I have the time and the problem seems too intermittent, might happen a couple of times in the space of an hour, maybe a couple of times in the space of a day... however since using this new router it the disconnecting of the adsl line hasn't happened, I will go back to the billion during tomorrow day just to check it still occurs on that.  The speed was an issue, probably as you say due to my profile getting downed each time my router re-synced from a down blip, however my attenuation is high so I was never going to get an amazing connection and would prefer stability over throughput, also from reading about this forum in the last week I've seen that a few threads talk about a recent network wide issue with the speed of the service so difficult to say either way.
Since this router is wireless however I can put it downstairs directly into the master socket which should get me around a 3k sync, which will do and is as much as I was ever estimated anyway.  Will just have to wait for my line profile to settle from then on.
Thanks for all the help though, to you and jack21, if any other developments crop up I'll be sure to update thread.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

OK, well best of luck with it, remember if you are not already on a 12 month contract you'll be put on one if you take the router. You might want to consider what other deals are around.
It's not really that much effort to eliminate a number of things from your problem, you don't have to do it all at once. The key is to be methodical, but best of luck anyway, post back if you get problems. jack21 was posting in another thread about modem/routers for long lines, some useful info there.
jack21
Grafter

I assessed the 585v7 for a couple of days on my long broadband line, found it to be pedestrian compared with a 585v6, but very stable and reliable and with low error rates.....good wireless signal too. But since then, its remained on the shelf in favour of more capable routers.
If you'd like the best (in my opinion)  straightforward router that will give you the best results in speed and stability without any form of extra tweaking, then I've no hesitation in putting the BT 2700HGV Business Hub at the top of the list - their cost off Ebay can be very reasonable, and I've bought ones for less than £6. That remains my favourite day-to-day workhorse.
If you're prepared to put in a little extra work, then a DG834G V4 with DGteam firmware added, is my second choice - but they are costlier, require the DGteam firmware adding, and benefit from a little SNRM-tweaking.
The Billion 7300A was the fastest router I ever found, but it is an aggressive little terrier, and pushed the SNRM too much for longer lines for my liking. If I was on a shorter, lower-attenuation, stable line then it would attract my attention again. Its upmarket stable mate, the 7402VGP was a much better bet, with more control over the SNRM-lowering....but it was more costly, and had so many features that I would have been forever tweaking it!
One other thing, it might be worthwhile trying all your microfilters (for at least a day each) - I've found much variability in the effects of each, and found that the very highly recommended XF-1e was one of the worst performers on my particulat setup. When/if you do make physical changes, do follow Anotherone's guidance re powering down and waiting....
Spektor
Dabbler

Ok, so have been using this new 585v7 for a couple of weeks now and I don't think it is working out Sad
Every game I play with it gets lag spikes constantly, seems much worse during peak hours... tried plugging my old Billion 7300A in and games work perfectly, stable pings, no lag etc - just the obvious return of the problem with the ADSL connection dropping every so often.
Is this a known problem with the Thompson?
Will certainly be going over the recommendations made by Jack21 to see if I can pick any of them up for a nice price.
Just a guide to connection I am getting on each router (back on the upstairs extension)
Thompson 585v7  -  2900kbps / 12db SNRM
Billion 7300A  -  4000kbps / 6db SNRM