cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My broadband could be faster

xolo

My broadband could be faster

Hi there,

I've had my plusnet service up and running for just over a week and I'm fairly happy with it. However, I have noticed that my download speed has been stuck at the 10Mbps the whole time and hasn't gone above this. When I was with Sky (my previous supplier) I was getting speeds of around 16 - 18Mbps on average (I live close to the exchange).

Could you look into this please? TIA!

14 REPLIES 14
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: My broadband could be faster

Sky use different equipment to Openreach, so won't match; what speed did PN advise you of when you joined?
Check also the BT Wholesale link to check.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @xolo and welcome to the Community Smiley

I've ran a test on the line and the sync speed is currently as 23.1mb. I have amended one of the settings on the line as this was set too low and could cause instability and drops in speed. Please monitor and get back to me if you're still having issues Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Lauren,

Changed which setting?

By the description you've given it sounds like the target SNRM from 3dB to 6dB (its useful to be explicit please as it stops us needing to guess) ... which is not likely to give rise to the symptoms reported, UNLESS there was a massively high error rate ... in which case the DLM should have made this change itself.

What seems more likely here is that for some reason the BRAS / PN profiles were stuck at 10mbps.

@xolo,

If you are still experiencing issues, can you please produce some data on the issue...

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

xolo

Hi guys,

Thanks for the interest. I'm using my own router (Netgear D1500) and I have been monitoring the speed. I'm now getting between 16 & 18Mbps.

I am about 1Km from the exchange. I can also get upto 78Mbps on fibre but I don't have fibre.

Here's the modem details

xDSL Line Status

Mode G992.5
Latency FAST
Trellis Coding 1
Status SHOWTIME.L0
Power Level L0
Uptime 1 day 5:5:46

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB) 3.4 6.8
Attenuation (dB) 18 10
Output Power (dBm) 12.5 10
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 22028 kbps 1279 kbps
Rate (kbps) 20736 kbps 1215 kbps
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 251 38
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 4 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 0 0
D (interleave depth) 1 1
Delay (msec) 0 0
FEC 318107 0
CRC 52874 1
Total ES 18751 1
Total SES 17 0
Total UAS 87 0
Total LOSS 12 0

Full Init 3
Failed Full Init 0
Last Link DS Rate 19261
Last Link US Rate 1227
TX frames 6282296
RX frames 6093295
Synchronized time (Second) 106101
Synchronized number 3

Here's my PN Profile

Estimated line speed:
17Mb (This may vary between 10Mb and 19Mb) - Checked on 2017-12-04 19:15:49
Current line speed:
18.2 Mb

Here's the BT wholesale results with Ethernet used and WiFi turned off.

Download  Speed
  10.47 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 10.47 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 18.29 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.96 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.96Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I'll let @Townman reply fully to this, but your DS SNR looks a little bit low. A figure of 6 should give you a little better speed - I think.Smiley

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1, @Townman - Both of my connections show both Upstream and Downstream SNRs of 2, as you can see below, I know nothing about this subject but they have always been within 1 > 3 so I assumed this was the norm are you saying that higher is better?

Connection Stats 

jab1
Legend

@Anonymous I know nothing about fibre, so can't answer, but the OP is on ADSL, and my comment was based on my experience. A low SNR, as I understand it, can have a detrimental effect unless your line is absolutely perfect, interference-wise, and I just thought that as the achieved rate was so much lower than the reported connection speedthat this could be a factor.

I could of course be totally wrong.Smiley

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1,

Hi John, You are neither right nor wrong - it "depends"...

If the line is good, a better sync speed can be obtained with a lower SNRM margin, however that could lead to a lot of error retransmissions ... which effectively reduces the usable data speed.

@xolo,

Looking at these figures, there does appear to be some synch speed variability (Lauren's test reported 23mbps and the above stats 20mbps).  The Plusnet IP profile at 18.2mbps is right on the nail.

The BTw speed test is though a bit slow - I would have hoped for something a bit over 16mbps DATA speed.  Was this data speed test run over Ethernet or WiFi?  How confident can you be that nothing else was using the internet, either on the test PC or other devices in the home?

@Gandalf@MatthewWheeler - could someone please take a look at the SVLAN status here?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Anonymous,

Every line is different and there is no intrinsic relationship between US and DS SNRM.  Looking at the stats provided, the US is about as good as it gets, so the SNRM has "room" to be high.  The DS is squeezing the best possible out of the line.  If the line is clean, 3dB will work fine, if not then it could experience connection instability ... and one would expect the DLM to adjust the target accordingly.

However I do not think any of that explains what is happening here - I suspect that the comparatively low data throughput being seen during the test activity is down to connection usage contention, either within the home or on the back haul.

jab1
Legend

@Townman wrote:

@jab1,

Hi John, You are neither right nor wrong - it "depends"...

If the line is good, a better sync speed can be obtained with a lower SNRM margin, however that could lead to a lot of error retransmissions ... which effectively reduces the usable data speed.

Thanks Kevin - I thought my explanation was a bit simplistic, and I suppose I could have made things a bit clearer had I considered my reply.

Must try and avoid multi-tasking when repling on here.Embarrassed

John
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Townman there are quite a few reports in this forum of the BTW speed test reporting speeds less than expected especially when Firefox is used.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Browni,

Indeed - there are a couple of scenarios in play at present - varying speed tests reports depending upon which browser is used included.  The particular one I saw, also reported slow data speeds on general use - TV streaming - pointing to other potential issues.

You are though right - I think it would be wise if we started to ask which browser (including version) was used to do the BTw speed test and request that users try an alternative browser too.  Different browsers consistently delivering markedly different results is not overly helpful in a diagnostic process.

xolo

I did use Firefox as it happens.

@Townman

Also, I directly connected my laptop to the router via Ethernet; ensuring WiFi was disabled. Also, I'm fairly certain no other devices were using the internet as they were all switched off.

Anyway, I did another speed test (Firefox, Ookla) and was getting a much more plausible 15.5Mbps. It's all just rather strange.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you are able to assist, it would be helpful to receive data speed test reports using various speed test services (BTw / Think broadband / Ookla) using two or three different browsers.

That 15.5mbps is in the right ball park for expectations. Something somewhere is not as clear as it might be. Where different speed tests are performed at different times, one cannot eliminate the possibility that the back haul performance is highly variable.

Of recent times, this is not the first report of markedly variable speed test results.