cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Usage not correct!

Denevenom
Grafter

My Usage not correct!

Hi, I joined PN on Thursday evening.  I have played approx 4 hrs (COD) on the Xbox 360 and PS3 and downloaded approx 30mb of stuff yet my usage is showing over 1gb
I seem to be 'using' even when I'm asleep!
I downloaded 'Surplus Meter' a usage monitor for my Macbook and its showing constant up/downloading even when I'm doing nothing.  for example the last hour is 3.5mb down and 1.3mb up.
is this normal if you are connected but not browsing or emailing - just connected?
7 REPLIES 7
Denevenom
Grafter

Re: My Usage not correct!

I may have posted this in the wrong forum section, can someone move it please?  Roll_eyes
Denevenom
Grafter

Just to add:
I've activated safe surf and set BB fiewall to low which has had no affect  Sad
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
It depends what you have running on the computer, it could be normal or could be something malicious like a virus. Some things will run in the background and download updates themselves like anti-virus software or Windows Update (I can't remember if Apple update can be set to download without prompting but I think I downloaded 7 updates in the last month, you can check if that's downloaded anything this week in System Preferences -> Software Update -> Installed Updates).
Also chat programs and P2P if they are running can use bandwidth even if you aren't actually using them at the time. On the Mac you can see what's running with the Activity Monitor in Applications -> Utilities, the network graph will also show you the usage it's doing so you can see if it's constant 1 or 2KB/s or short spikes.
If your router is switched on even if the computer isn't then there will be a small amount of usage showing up, generally just a few KB at most but will include keep alive traffic from your router telling us it's still connected and random pings, port scans and probes and virus traffic that will just bounce off your firewall.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Denevenom
Grafter

Hi Dave,
No updates are showing in the last week.
I am watching the activity monitor and over the last 40mins it is showing  9.03mb received  2.4mb sent and I am doing nothing!
what do I do to stop this?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

You could run a packet capture using something like Wireshark. In doing this you should be able to see where the data is getting transferrred from/to which might give you an idea as to what's cauing it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Denevenom
Grafter

I downloaded wireshark but I haven't got a clue how to install it - its telling me to copy files to folders I never heard of!
this is really starting to p*** me off
I've spent all last night and today trying to sort this and still no further forward and all the time I'm bleeding 10mb an hour to god knows where
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63