cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Stable Rate has Collapsed

Innovations
Grafter

My Stable Rate has Collapsed

I noticed I've dropped to 500Kbps. It has been at about 2500 for quite a while. Recently I've been switching the modem off at night. This wouldn't cause the problem would it? Otherwise, is there anything you can do for me?
16 REPLIES 16
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: My Stable Rate has Collapsed

Have you just put up your Christmas tree lights?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Hi Innovations,
It looks like you may have had a recent blip in your sync speeds, which is now recovering.
I've just manually mapped BTs profile of 1500Kbps against your account, so if you reboot you should see an improvement in speeds.
Innovations
Grafter

James
Many thanks. I see I getting 750k this morning.
Jelv - the only factor I an aware of that affects broadband is heavy rain. Ignoring that, I get disconnects (loss of PPP) starting from around 16:30 which can't be anything in my house, or likely nearby. Unfortunately whenever anything goes wrong people start talking about telephone points, other equipment etc. I've had the same configuration for years so I know it can't be me. It must be either BT or Plus that trigger these problems.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

16:30 - does that coincide with when the street lights come on?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

You'd be shocked at the number of times I've heard "It's not me because I've not changed anything" situation, where it turns out to be a dodgy filter, modem or wiring!
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

retep
Grafter

A few months ago I had the same thing happen to me a drop from 1.5Mb that had been stable for 6 months to 500Kb.
I made a few internal wiring changes but still received a 500Kb connection. I removed a 20 year old phone and now run at 1Mb or 1.5Mb. Maybe the phone started to create more interference or maybe more sensitive equipment was installed downline from me.
It could be worth a look at your wiring and equipment if I had done nothing I would still be running at 500Kb.
Innovations
Grafter

Can someone help me again - it's fallen back to below 1Mbps. The reasons I doubt it's me are:
1) I only have a DECT phone and the modem attached. There is no other wiring
2) It's been up and down for years and I've changed nothing. Same modem, same software, same computer. Changing filters has absolutely zero impact. I can have long periods of quite reasonable performance. Local software and hardware can't account for that.
3) There is nothing I can see in my house or nearby that could correlate with the periods of poor performance. The single exception is heavy rain but that tends to stop ADSL whereas my normal problems are either stable rate or PPP drop-outs. 
What I will say is the lower speed has more-or-less eliminated  the pattern of PPP drop outs after 16:00 every day but I'd rather stick with that and get a better speed.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
It looks like you had a bit of a blip as you're now syncing at 2144Kbps again and should see an improvement in profile again in about 48 hours time.
Are you suffering from dropped connections at all?  Or is that something that just happens occasionally?
Innovations
Grafter

Thanks James. However I'm still showing sub 1Mbps on your speed test.
The drop outs have disappeared over the last few days so perhaps it's a feature of sync speed rather than exchange congestion etc. It's the PPP connection that stops. The modem claims it still has an ADSL link to the exchange. I don't know what the PPP connection is precisely or what factors encourage it to drop out. I can always reconnect by switching the modem off and on.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
If you try rebooting your router now, your speeds should be marginally improved.
Glad to hear that there's a some more stability now Smiley
Innovations
Grafter

Well, my stable rate has now reached 2000 and my actual speed has climbed to 1500, so fingers crossed.
I've said it before a number of times, Plusnet needs to think about how to offer a better quality service at a higher price. I don't won't bundled phone calls etc. I want a better broadband. As it stands all the telephone line providers offer much the same take-it-or-leave-it flakey product. When is someone (especially those who are actually BT) going think about how to improve quality on older lines like mine? If you're not careful the time will come when you'll start losing customers to cellular and WiMax providers.
James
Grafter

Pretty much really.
We're merely offering what is on the market from BT Wholesale.  We're essentially reselling their services and providing Customer and Technical Support for our customers (obviously with additional services included).
When BT offer ADSL2+, we'll offer ADSL2+.  When BT offer VDSL (amusingly called Very Fast Digital Subscriber Line) we'll offer VDSL.  When BT offer FTTH/C, we'll offer that as well.
Please do bear in mind that we are merely a retailer and not a wholesaler.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
When BT offer FTTH/C,

I dunno.. I was looking at the prices of the flats above Plusnet Towers.  I'm sure you could arrange some sort of FTTFU  (Fibre To The Flat Upstairs) for a reasonable price without involving BT ;);)
B.
mcgurka
Grafter

Lol, out of interest, and I know I may be slated for being off topic, Im considering moving to sheffield, where can I find details of these flats online?